BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Body lift issues

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2012 21:44 - 02 Jul 2012 21:47 #43424 by Smoggy
Body lift issues was created by Smoggy
Just almost completed my 2'' Jimnybits bodylift, however, unlike one of big jimnys far more competent members (think it was facade), the job has taken me far longer than 1.5hrs. More like 1.5 days tbh :woohoo:

So I just thought I would share the trials and tribulations from a novice point of view - you can snigger if you like :laugh:

I started by following some very useful bullet points issued by supergaz from a previous thread. So here goes:

I loosened the bolts at each end of the steering column (the lower one attached to the steering box spline was very tight and almost rounded off). I still havent worked out how to replace this with the Jimnybits extended shaft I bought. Thinking about loosening the steering box mounts to make space to get it in.

I removed the 2 bolts under the petrol flap holding the fuel filler pipe to the car body. One of them sheared. then I realised all I had to do was remove the inner wing plastic shield this gives access to 2 jubilee clips to seperate the filler pipe (if you do it this way make sure you stuff a clean rag in the filler/breather pipes straight away or you will get crap in the tank.

Next the front and rear bumpers come off which was okay if a bit fiddly.

I removed the headlights and discovered all the brackets holding them to the body where snapped (due to an old frontal impact - not me) Hence the wanted headlight thread!

The brake splitter under the master cylinder was removed from the bulkhead (plenty of easing oil here the screws are awkward). Nearside front brake flexi under the wheelarch was unclipped from its mount.
Not sure why but didnt remove splitter from chassis rail like supergaz.

Then unbolted the 8x bolts and jacked the body from the chassis (very hairy), I personally found getting the bolts/spacers to line up a proper faf despite trying one side at a time. Really glad I got the Jimnybits kit with provided bolt extenders these were excellent.

Will get some accompanying pics on soon. Chuffed to bits with the progress so far considering its my first big job.

PS sorry for the long thread but hope the info helps someone.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2012 21:47 by Smoggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2012 08:28 #43434 by 2013gary
Replied by 2013gary on topic Re: Body lift issues
Hmmm after reading all that I might get someone else to lift mine for me!

Gary

More
04 Jul 2012 22:31 #43526 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Body lift issues
It's easy, Go for it! ;-)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2012 20:33 #43573 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Body lift issues
Easy for Gaz maybe :)

But I agree with him still. Go for it.

More
05 Jul 2012 21:15 #43577 by supergaz
To be honest a Pajero is easier, the jimny is much more difficult. Especially when you do it in the garage then realise its too tall to come out the door :-)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2012 21:29 #43580 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Body lift issues
oops :laugh:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2012 21:33 #43581 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Body lift issues
just let the tyres down lol :laugh:

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2012 22:13 #43583 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Body lift issues
Or jack the garage up. ;-)

More
06 Jul 2012 06:34 #43586 by supergaz

markyp2000 wrote: just let the tyres down lol :laugh:

Still after taking the valve cores out, We had to take half the door off and put a'lot of weight in the back, also the roof rails were removed. Then we dragged the jimny out leaving skid marks down the drive :blush: :blush: :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds