BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hand winching off standard tow attachments

• Shonesby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2012 20:05 #43260 by Shonesby
Hi all,
I've got myself a handwinch set up in case I get stuck and assuming a tree or mates car is about, are the standard tow attachments ok to winch from?

thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2012 20:38 #43264 by Mud_Muppet
I would say so, ive been recovery many a time on my standard points, plus ive winched using a snatch block back onto the standard points and they held up to it, but id check them rust !!

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

More
30 Jun 2012 20:45 #43265 by mcjimny
Check them thoroughly for cracks along the welds to the chassis, if they're in good shape, when needed use a bridle across both points to share the load and a good steady pull "should" be fine for you. Definitely do not use them for snatch recoveries.

Another benefit of them being so light is that unless its a seriously sorted truck(that would have the area dealt with) you're not going to be so stuck, its not like its almost 2t of 90.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Shonesby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2012 21:06 #43362 by Shonesby
Replied by Shonesby on topic Re: Hand winching off standard tow attachments
Got the bridle to share the load.. came with 19mm shackles which of course don't fit through the standard Jimny tow hooks! Will have to buy some smaller ones...

thanks for the advice

More
02 Jul 2012 16:02 #43396 by mcjimny

Shonesby wrote: Got the bridle to share the load.. came with 19mm shackles which of course don't fit through the standard Jimny tow hooks! Will have to buy some smaller ones...

thanks for the advice

I know that some don't but on mine there are the elongated holes(that are too small) and then above those closer to the chassis are some bigger round holes. I use these but the only down side being that it can squash the centre trim on the bumper.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds