BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

fitting my lift kit (insert expletives)

• newbiepaul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 17:31 #42904 by newbiepaul
fitting my lift kit (insert expletives) was created by newbiepaul
Hi guys finally got round to start fitting my lift kit from martin ( 3 inch lift ,rough country shocks)
well i thought the rears would be the hard one so started there, all bots undone fine apart from one top one that decided to shear the captive nut .....grrrr,but happy to say all back together and bolted up
il attack the fronts

can anyone give me any advice or hints on fitting the fronts ,before tommorow ,heres a pic of the jimny as she sits tonight lol

time for beer said paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 18:06 #42908 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: fitting my lift kit (insert expletives)
the front should be easier :laugh: good luck

• newbiepaul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 18:10 #42909 by newbiepaul
Replied by newbiepaul on topic Re: fitting my lift kit (insert expletives)
cheers for that dutch ,i hope so cos at moment im just about finished tearing my hair out lol

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 19:42 #42915 by nicho
snap ive just got my 2 inch rear springs on,didt have time to do the shocks but its a bit tight undoing the top shock bolt init.hope it dunt snap like yours did.im the same any advice on doing the front.

More
25 Jun 2012 20:13 - 25 Jun 2012 20:38 #42917 by dirtydogz
Fitting a 2"(50mm)or 3"(75mm) lift.
If you got a set of longer brake hoses fit them first this is only with the 3"lift, not needed on the 2" lift.
You will need to fit some rear shock brackets, If you think you need them you can also fit a set of caster correction + adjustable pan-hard rods.
Next (WD 40) all the nuts and bolts on the shocks for about 2 days before starting.
Start with the rear first axle,undo the wheel nuts a little,then jack up on the axle or the chassis on both sides and lower on to axle stands as near to the radius arms as possible , so the tyres are about 2" off the ground,now remove the wheels.
Next place the trolley jack in the middle of the rear axle, jack it up so you can remove the nuts+bolts from the shocks.
Next lower the axle down keeping an eye on the brake pipe,(don't over stretch it if you are fitting the 2" lift.) next remove the old springs+shocks, you might need a mate to help you fit the new springs+shocks back on, or as l did a length of wood just to lever the axle down a little to get the new springs on.
Now do the the front the same way as the back, you will need to undo two bolts on the anti roll-bar.
If you need the axles to drop a little more you will need to remove one of the panhard rod bolts.
When your finished CHECK all the nuts +bolts+ wheel nuts are tight.
Hope this helps.
DIRTYDOGZ.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 25 Jun 2012 20:38 by dirtydogz.

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 20:33 #42921 by nicho
ta never thought about a,r,b.

More
25 Jun 2012 20:40 #42923 by dirtydogz
Your welcome. ;)

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

More
25 Jun 2012 22:16 #42931 by kirkynut
I took my ARB off some time ago which makes life easier.

Then to change my springs, 3" lifting for new 3" lifting, I jacked the front axle up with 2 jacks, one on each side, keeping it level, to the highest of the smallest jack.

Then I put axle stands under the front of the chassis, took the wheels off, took the shocks off, took the brake calipers off and hung them off a bunjee.

Then I lowered both jacks down so that the brake discs didn't quite touch the ground and the springs pulled out with a wiggle.

New springs went in with a wiggle. New shocks went on top first then with a tap on the lower shock bracket with a hammer to open them up for the new bush. Tap the bottom of the shock in and line up the holes for the bolt with a screw driver.

Jack back up watching the springs are seated ok, each side evenly.

Put the brake calipers back on and the wheels and hey presto, unless you are fitting longer brake lines.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• newbiepaul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2012 23:06 #42934 by newbiepaul
cheers dirty and kirky for your help ,hopefully the fronts will be loads easier ,il get a pic or 2 up tommorow ,not got my brake lines or adjustable panhards so gonna run as is for a week or so,no offroading till i get the brake lines on lol

More
26 Jun 2012 07:45 #42940 by kirkynut
I would get yourself some adjustable panhard rods mate!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• newbiepaul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2012 20:49 #42964 by newbiepaul
well all went fine today with the fronts apart from having to grind the top nuts off ,everything went back together just fine ,i will be investing in a pair of adjustable panhards very soon ,what ones are you guys with a 3 inch lift using

heres another pic of it today

More
26 Jun 2012 22:01 - 28 Jun 2012 18:02 #42970 by dirtydogz
Hi Paul.
Well-done the lift look great mate. B)
Iv'e got a set of Martins exchange panhard rods fitted, :) l also got him to fit a set of poly bushes at the same time + got two sets of panhard rod bolt at the same time, as the bolts will be seized in the old bushes so give them a good spray with WD40. :pinch:
If they don't come out you will need to cut them off with a grinder. :(
Hope this help you.
Dirtydogz B)

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2012 18:02 by dirtydogz.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds