BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

towing vehicle?

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2012 18:30 #41383 by oxford_bloke
towing vehicle? was created by oxford_bloke
alright guys I'm going through the process of getting my B+E licence and so in the not so near future i'll need a towing car to get the jimny round sites. so any ideas?

Needs to be as economical as possible
used as a daily driver
between 4,000-5000 quid. as i got a seat Leon to trade in

any thoughts ideas recommendation would be welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2012 19:39 - 29 May 2012 19:44 #41388 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: towing vehicle?
My towcar, 2001 Shogun 3.2Did, Tows like a train, stupid amounts of torque, never works up a sweat! Can tow 3300kg, and a comfy motorway cruiser.
You can easily get a tidy low mile example for than sort of money, and they don't breakdown like landrovers :woohoo: Ours is on about 115,000 miles and a 2001 model and has never let us down.
Fuel economy is late 20's to early 30's whoever I have a lead foot.

My Ifor Williams LT126 The jimny fits perfectly on it, and narrow enough to fit into a single garage ;-)
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2012 19:44 by supergaz.

• oxford_bloke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2012 19:43 #41389 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: towing vehicle?
would love something that big but i bet its thirsty

More
29 May 2012 19:47 - 29 May 2012 19:53 #41390 by supergaz
I used to have a 2.0 petrol Grand Vitara and that was worse on fuel, and the shogun don't mind the weight on the back, with the GV it was overweight and far to heavy on the back..

Attachment DSC00030.JPG not found

My best of all was my 3.0 V6 Pajero, towed like a train again like the Shogun. With the LPG conversion it worked out cheaper for me to commute 100 miles a day compared to our old 1.6 Megane, quit that job now :) and have a company van.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2012 19:53 by supergaz.

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2012 19:48 #41391 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Re: towing vehicle?
whot about a a4 avant tdi 130 b6.50+mpg allday ( not when towing though )

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2012 19:56 #41392 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: towing vehicle?
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Perhaps ?

More
29 May 2012 20:17 #41393 by supergaz
Remember the heavier the tow car the more stable it is, id never even consider towing with less than a large van or 4x4.
A mondeo can only tow about 1800kg. My jimny on my trailer comes in at just over 2000kg, need to get it weighed again though due to a'lot of new mods it will be even heavier.

More
29 May 2012 22:06 #41407 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: towing vehicle?
Got to be said..........td5 disco!

As others have said you need something big to be comfortable pulling. Also think about access to sites, if you're towing into p&p sites you don't really want a fwd car trying to drag upto 2t across a sandy car park or grass field.

Without the ins and outs of each vehicles possible faults consider:
Terrano 2, L200, Navara, Pajero, Shogun, Patrol, Fourtrak......

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 May 2012 22:08 #41409 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: towing vehicle?
I suggested a Mondeo because that's probably my future choice for towing, as it should be possible to find a relatively lightweight trailer so around 1600-1700 kg in total.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2012 12:23 #41420 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: towing vehicle?
I have towed it with an A3 2.0tdi but it struggled on long motorway hills

also consider a cherokee or grand cherokee diesel

Attachments:

More
30 May 2012 17:43 #41434 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: towing vehicle?
We tow with a Cherokee 2.8 crd just like your Darthloakie and I think they are great. Will to 3.5 tonnes so a Jimny on a trailer is easy. Ours has been incredibly reliable and I only wish that Jeep would produce a new version of it.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2012 18:02 #41437 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: towing vehicle?
Land Rovers (Defender, Disco, Range Rover) are pretty hard to beat as tow vehicles. There are very few others with a 3.5Ton tow limit and still fewer that tow as nicely.

Given a choice of anything I'd go for a Td5 110 (like mine) or a Td5 Discovery - both are fantastic and will cope with anything you care to carry on any trailer.

Land Cruisers are pretty good too - but more thirsty and ugly!

I spend a lot of time towing and have looked at most of the sensible vehicles available. I keep coming back to Land Rover though and my 110 is the very best vehicle I've ever had for towing! It's not the most luxurious vehicle in the world but it sure makes up for it in other ways.

Si

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds