BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2012 SZ3 or SZ4

• Raithrover
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2012 22:19 - 09 May 2012 22:19 #39799 by Raithrover
2012 SZ3 or SZ4 was created by Raithrover
Buying a new Jimny in September . Is the SZ4 worth the extra over the SZ3 ? Will be spending most of it's life on-road ,
Last edit: 09 May 2012 22:19 by Raithrover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 06:27 #39803 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
Hi Raithrover and welcome
here's my two-pennyworth

SZ4 = £1300 more then the SZ3 for which you get
metallic paint, 15-inch alloys, rear window privacy glass, part-leather upholstery and two-tone roof rails.

SZ3 = any colour you want as long as it's white :dry:
metallic paint = £400
Local window tinter (proper company) £140
alloys = £400 - £500
part plastic seats = they are nicer :kiss:
two-tone roof rails = WTF :huh:

personally I'd pay the extra for the SZ4 and get the quaser gray - don't get the horrid blue one :laugh:

also don't believe the hype = spec states Average mpg 39.8Tank range 350 miles :ohmy:

any particular reason why you want a new Jimny just for road use .... have you driven one yet in suburbia :( :ohmy: :blink: :S :pinch:

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 06:48 - 10 May 2012 06:49 #39804 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
Welcome

I popped into a dealer the other day, purely to grab a couple of oil filters,while i was around i had a look around a brand new SZ4 in the show room.

Loved the leather with 'Jimny' embroidery... very smart... but £13,000!?

I don't see the point in buying a new Jimny. I'd buy a year or so old with virtually no miles on the clock.
They had an 09 out the front for a tad over £7k so thats 6grand you have saved!
Last edit: 10 May 2012 06:49 by adamatdraycott.

More
10 May 2012 06:59 #39805 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4

an 09 out the front for a tad over £7k

that is some deal ... and from a main stealer .... looks like now definitely is the time to buy ;)

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 07:07 #39807 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
It certainly needed some bits, the aerial had been snapped clean, and it was navy blue, so needed a complete respray ;)

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 10:12 #39816 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
Adam, I dont see the point in changing it from navy blue to just blue. Theyre both great colours :-)

• Raithrover
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 15:16 #39843 by Raithrover
Replied by Raithrover on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
Have driven a Jimny (mate's) There is a dearth of 2nd hand Jimnys round here and I am retiring early and have decide to buy a new car with my heart not my head. Fed up with the normal, sensible motors I drove to work each day. Also if you drove much,off the main roads in Ireland, you could see the point of a small 4x4. I am here (forum0 to learn as much as I can before my pay off in September.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 15:43 #39847 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4

Raithrover wrote: Have driven a Jimny (mate's) There is a dearth of 2nd hand Jimnys round here and I am retiring early and have decide to buy a new car with my heart not my head. Fed up with the normal, sensible motors I drove to work each day. Also if you drove much,off the main roads in Ireland, you could see the point of a small 4x4. I am here (forum0 to learn as much as I can before my pay off in September.

I don't think people are questioning why you are buying a Jimny, I think they are questioning why you would buy a brand new, unused Jimny when 2nd hand are soooooo much cheaper.

Jimny is a definately heart not head purchase, if you were using your head you'd get a some boring shopping car which would be much more capable on the road but also much less fun!

More
10 May 2012 16:44 #39856 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4

adamatdraycott wrote:
I don't see the point in buying a new Jimny. I'd buy a year or so old with virtually no miles on the clock.
They had an 09 out the front for a tad over £7k so thats 6grand you have saved!

Err, 2012-2009 is 3 years old :whistle:

I just bought a "new" 3 year old car.
I did check it before buying, nice & shiny, low miles etc.
Now I've meticulously inspected it, it just isn't up to my standards, it hasn't been looked after like every penny that paid for it was earned through relentless toil, so now I'm crushed and disappointed.

I will definitely buy a brand new one when I replace it. B)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2012 16:57 #39859 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
I think the SZ4 also has a leather steering wheel and front lamps over the SZ3.

As for whether or not you should buy a new one, if you can afford it then why not? For a brand new car they're relatively cheap, you'll get a 3 year warranty, you'll get the spec you want and you'll have that lovely new car smell and feel. And (always assuming you take proper care of it) you'll never have the nagging doubt that a previous owner has abused or neglected it.

Besides, if nobody ever bought brand new ones there wouldn't be any secondhand ones for the rest of us tight-fisted beggars to buy :P

• Raithrover
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2012 20:34 #40167 by Raithrover
Replied by Raithrover on topic Re: 2012 SZ3 or SZ4
Thanks for the comments, guys. It has helped me no end !

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds