BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Which welder?

More
09 Mar 2012 11:51 #35185 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Which welder?

trextr7monkey wrote: As above really, more expensive machines make it easier to produce neater good looking work - I learnt to arc weld when I was a student and still use my big car ramps I made then-(over 30 years ago)
quote]

I too learned at evening classes when I was still at school, I've still got the ramps I then made as well.
most of the welding I did then was with a Pickhill Bantam my dad had on the farm he still has it, still going strong, it must be about 800 years old now!!
I've progressed to a SIP Mig 150 does most things I need, I got a pub CO2 cylinder FOC from a friendly local landlord about 10 years ago and it's just running out now, trying to find a refil or replacement. Apparently a catering supplier is the cheapest option, one that does draught soft drinks.
cheers!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2012 12:11 #35186 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Which welder?
So many options! Its a tough call what to buy. I'm keeping my eye on ebay but not had much luck yet.

I'm a bit wary of spending loads and then never using it, equally if I buy crap kit and don't get on with it I'll never use it. :dry:

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2012 16:48 #35200 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Which welder?
Well as you can see lots of people on here offering good advice who don't want you wasting your money - like most jobs there's several routes to the result you want.
Speed,quality price - pick any 2 as they say !
atb
Mike

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds