BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB radio

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 16:52 #34947 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: CB radio
My cb is mounted in front of the roof light and powered by the light.
Twig is mounted via a quick release bayonet fitting to my home made spare wheel mount.
The coax does go through a grommit into the rear door.
From there through the flexy rubber doobrie into the offside panel and up into the void between roof and roof lining.
Exiting by the bracket that the rig is held by.
Nice and neat and only visible wire is the mike curly cable.
There's pictures of it on here somewhere if you want a look.
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BIG-P
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 20:15 - 07 Mar 2012 07:05 #34985 by BIG-P
Replied by BIG-P on topic Re: CB radio
Make sure your swr is ok when using those rear mounts,sometimes they don't tune well back there.
The best place to mount a cb antenna is in the centre of the roof because it gives an even radiation pattern and the best possible grounding.
You should be fine using your cig lighter socket as long as it's just a basic cb using 4 watts because they only draw a few amps.

When you install your cb you will need an swr meter and patch lead to tune your antenna.
If your antenna isn't tuned for efficiently and you are talking for long periods of time it WILL bugger the outputs on your cb..

Some links for you below -
www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_guide_swr.html

www.thunderpole.co.uk/4x4_choosing_antenna.htm
Last edit: 07 Mar 2012 07:05 by BIG-P.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 22:01 #35010 by Keefe
I swr'd mine in and the needle hardly moved, as near 1-1 as I could get.
I altered the length a little just to make sure the meter was working. :laugh:
Agree, smack in the middle is the best place but I have enough holes in the Jim and need to get to the twig to remove it easily! :laugh:
If I'm in a group, I'll stay at the rear.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2012 15:59 #35052 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: CB radio
Thanks for all the info guys. Im starting to worry adding one is gonna be harder than I thought! :blink:
I had no idea you had to tune them I thought they were just basically plug and play.
Im just wondering whether this mod is werth leaving for now until it becomes a problem that I dont have one. I dont know anyone round where I live with one so Im guessing I might get a tad bored talking to myself :side: I see loads of discos with them near me but no Jimnys infact Iv never seen a lifted Jimny in real life other than mine! :dry:

• BIG-P
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2012 16:54 - 06 Mar 2012 16:55 #35056 by BIG-P
Replied by BIG-P on topic Re: CB radio
Get one fitted!
They are great fun even though cb is very quiet compared to the 80's and 90's.
Still busy around the big towns though.

Tuning the antenna is pretty easy,some antennas you hardly have to adjust so don't let it put you off.

Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 16:55 by BIG-P.

More
07 Mar 2012 12:49 #35098 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: CB radio
Little Ooky's CB was wired into the Radio Power feed. This meant the power was isolated when the ignition was switched off. The 7 Meters of coax ran under the dash, up the nearside A Pillar trim, along the roof, down the B Pillar, and exited though the C pillar. When not in use, I used to stick the mag mount to the rear seats, but I had enough Coax left to mount it in the centre of the roof (via the rear door).

Mounting was made to the lower centre dash but origionally it was fixed ontop of the dash. I also ran a old Nokia speaker from a car phone kit to the CB location to have a remote speaker infront of the driver.

If you only have 4 Meters of Coax, I would mount it via a Mag mount in the middle of the bonnet. as long as the SWR is less than 2, you should be fine for 6 - 10 miles (depending on terrain and other RF in your area)

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 14:06 #35514 by adam
started getting it fitted!!
Attachments:

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 14:20 #35515 by Keefe
If you get a bayonet fitting, you can remove the twig very easily.
This is my base with the twig removed.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 14:29 #35517 by adam
mmm i didnt know there were different ones. on the spring part, there is a little allen key so im assuming i could just pop it off with that. I havent fitted the cb yet, just ran the wires into the jeep. trying to get a good bargin on ebay! ;)

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 14:50 #35518 by Keefe
The little grub screw is what you use to SWR the twig to the radio, adjusts the length of the whip.
If you use that, you'll probably alter the SWR and could blow the output side of the rig. :blink:

2nd one down although mine is slightly shorter than this one and has a knurled finish.

www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_mounting_accessories.htm

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 14:52 #35519 by Keefe
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is mine but it's painted black.

hth

K :)

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2012 16:21 - 14 Mar 2012 16:25 #35521 by Keefe
And my rig:

Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 16:25 by Keefe.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds