BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What would you buy first ?

More
02 Mar 2012 09:55 - 02 Mar 2012 09:57 #34642 by kirkynut
If you go to 33" tyres you will break CV's easily, so I would not go that big, which would then negate the need for the body lift.

I agree that lockers take some of the challenge out of things, for this reason, I'm not buying them. I know too many people that have modified their trucks, Landrovers or Suzuki and now waft around offroad sites like they are driving down the road, going over everything with ease and now they're bored and skint.

Wire ropes scare the hell out of me.

So that leaves me saying synthetic rope - but not one that costs £100. I rate the 9.5mm rope below for a JimJam :

www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?actio...ts&catid1=1&catid2=3

It's made by Marlow, so it's quality at a reasonable price.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 02 Mar 2012 09:57 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2012 21:18 #34695 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: What would you buy first ?
sounds like they need to hit better obstacles to challenge their lockers.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2012 21:21 #34696 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: What would you buy first ?

kirkynut wrote: If you go to 33" tyres you will break CV's easily, so I would not go that big, which would then negate the need for the body lift.

I agree that lockers take some of the challenge out of things, for this reason, I'm not buying them. I know too many people that have modified their trucks, Landrovers or Suzuki and now waft around offroad sites like they are driving down the road, going over everything with ease and now they're bored and skint.

Wire ropes scare the hell out of me.

So that leaves me saying synthetic rope - but not one that costs £100. I rate the 9.5mm rope below for a JimJam :

www.winchsolutions.co.uk/index.asp?actio...ts&catid1=1&catid2=3

It's made by Marlow, so it's quality at a reasonable price.

Kirkynut

a good excuse to buy HD Shafts ;) + CV's

More
03 Mar 2012 02:31 #34702 by kirkynut

meanbgreen wrote: sounds like they need to hit better obstacles to challenge their lockers.

Most competed in the Mission 4x4 winch challenge series set out by Mark Ingram. Some punches on which I would compare to the Howling Wolf, so I think they had gone past the obstacle stage!

This was hardcore stuff that made Pay and Play seem like a boring, pointless waste of time. They now need more of a challenge than a pay and play site can offer to get their juices going.

The most fun I've had is when I've achieved something no-one though the little Zuk can do that the ultra modified LR's could just do.

So no lockers for me thanks!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 09:06 #34707 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: What would you buy first ?

reaper wrote: i wouldnt lift it more than you have , diff lock is nice but takes some of the challenge out of it , and rope will depend how much you use the winch
i would put it towards a lobster

Id put mine towards a crab. Just joking haha :lol: (well I thought it was funny) :lol:

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 10:28 #34711 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: What would you buy first ?
reckon wouldn't need em round there either if not doing a whole lot of rock type stuff.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
03 Mar 2012 19:09 - 03 Mar 2012 19:12 #34752 by funkyjimny

Mud_Muppet wrote: i want to run 33s so im pretty sure they wouldnt fit under the arches just with a 4.5 lift and trimmed arches

I run 32's on a 3" lift , I dont believe in bodylifts myself, you just need to massage the front bodymounts under the headlights to clear and thats about it.

Ive never broken a shaft or diff yet. We do get some serious greenlanes under our belts, occasionally we still winch up some extreme sections but only once a year really !

I already have the lockright, Rocklobster, and the Plasma rope.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2012 19:12 by funkyjimny.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
05 Mar 2012 20:10 #34984 by funkyjimny
Think I spoke too soon, didnt break the shaft, but did shear the freewheel hub off AGAIN ! good days laning in the peaks, saw some volunteers repairing a culvert on Stanage - top guys in that weather - horizontal snow most of the day.

Snapped all 6 bolts off in one, and they were some high tensile ones after i snapped the last heavy duty ones, following snapping the original ones...... way I look at it its a weak link and goes before I break something else, easy enough to repair, just a pain getting the easy outs on 6 little studs.

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2012 14:56 #35140 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: What would you buy first ?
hi mate who`s lift do you use to run 32" on a 3" lift

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds