BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Looking for my first Jimny!

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2012 23:15 #33733 by Sam_
Looking for my first Jimny! was created by Sam_
Hello all,

My name is Sam and I live in west sussex and am just about to try selling my car so I can buy a Jimny.

Wanted one for quite a while now ever since driving one in thailand!

If anyone has any buying advise or could point me in the direction of some where on this forum? then that would be great!

Also if anyone wants to take my clio as a p/x towards their jimny then just let me know and i'll provide more details.

Thanks

Sam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2012 09:22 #33746 by facade
There are a couple of threads on here, but basically you are looking for:

1) rust. In the boot where the tools live, under the rear seats where the seatbelts bolt down, behind and under the headlights. The ends of the front axle, the ball shaped housings should not be seriously rusty.

2) Head gasket gone. Make sure the engine is stone cold, undo radiator cap (not the yellow cap on the plastic bottle) if you hear a hiss, or the water is low in the radiator (should be right up to the cap) likely head gasket going.

3) oil leaks, there shouldn't be any anywhere.

4) starship mileages, try and get one with below 60,000. They will do 3 times that with careful servicing and a lot of replacement parts though.

5) signs of off roading. Get one that has never been off tarmac, there are plenty about if you look.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sam_

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 10:13 #33748 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: Looking for my first Jimny!
Thanks for that Facade, off too look at my First one today.

But I think it's a bit high mileage for the price. nearly 4k and just under 80k miles but it's from a dealer so you always pay more!

• wanderinstar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 10:19 #33749 by wanderinstar
Replied by wanderinstar on topic Re: Looking for my first Jimny!
Funny that I s
traded my 03 Diesel Clio in for my 02 Jimny. Only regret is that the Jimny doesn't do 60+ to the gallon. Which is strange as the diesel Jimny uses the same Renault engine. Would I go back? No chance

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 10:41 #33750 by Sam_
That was exactly what i wanted to hear!

My clio is the 1.2 petrol one so i'm not getting 60mpg anyways...

Only drive about 30miles a day so not that desperate for mega miles to the gallon.

More
19 Feb 2012 11:28 #33753 by facade
Forgot, check the front (and rear) tyres, they should wear flat. If there is one edge missing then either it has been driven very enthusiastically, or something is wrong with the steering.
Look for crash damage, usually cracked bumpers, jimnys normally crash big time and roll over, you won't miss signs of that ;) The front chassis rails beneath the radiator are designed to crumple up in a crash, check they are straight.

If you get as far as driving it:

Check that the yellow engine light and the red seatbelt light come on with the ignition, and go off after a few seconds and stay off.

Listen for any loud whining noises or any vibration when you drive it. Check that all the gears work.
Take it upto 45 -50 -55 and see if the steering wheel stays still, if it starts to shake then it has the dreaded death wobble caused by worn swivel bearings and seals.

When standing still engine running, engage 4wd, the light on the dash should come on and stay on solid, if it doesn't come on or flashes something is wrong. Don't drive it in 4wd on tarmac though, this will break something.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 14:46 #33766 by Sam_
Well went and had a good look round it think it was a bit over priced actually done over 90k with no history apart from a print out of past MOT's.

Had slight rust on under the tool kit like you said, and when I opened the rad cap there was a slight hiss and I couldn't see any liquid in there at all!

Also when I started it, it wouldn't just start on the key. Had to give it a little throttle but once it started it ran fine.
Is that normal? they said it had last run on Friday.

Didn't take it for a drive but I'll know what to look for the next one I see.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2012 15:06 #33769 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: Looking for my first Jimny!
ive had / 3 jimnys, got 2 and all have started straight away, hot or cold from one 42k one 67k one 118k

dont rush in, one will come up at the right price soon!

More
19 Feb 2012 17:28 #33777 by facade
Don't buy it :dry:

You want one that belonged to a little old lady who only drove it to the shops ( in 1st gear at 28mph with it in 4wd on dry tarmac :pinch: )

There will be loads about end of March early April, and they will be a lot less money when everyone has forgotten the snow and ice.

Please don't try the radiator cap test if the engine has been running :ohmy:

Most people look at the oil on the dipstick, if it is black and treacly, or plain not there it is a bad sign.
Take a look at the oil filter, if it is very rusty, or caked in 2 years worth of road grime it likely hasn't been changed recently.

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2012 08:41 #33850 by Sam_
Yeah I won't be opening any radiator caps if the engine has been running!

want to get one sooner rather than later because...

1. I don't want my current car to deprecate to much.

and

2. I'm very impatient when It comes to cars! ha

was going to pop along to this place later www.concordegarage.co.uk/

Has anyone bought a jimny from there before? they seem to have lots in stock!

More
20 Feb 2012 08:54 #33851 by mlines
This is my "local" garage.

They are over-priced but if this is supported by a good warranty then that is worth something.

For example:

www.concordegarage.co.uk/used-cars/suzuk...ines-201102377103333

This is for a 53 plate, I just paid less than this for an immaculate 05 VVT with onlt 46,000 on the clock privately.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Sam_
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2012 09:03 #33852 by Sam_
I did think some of their prices were a little high, but I thought it might be a good place to compare several jimnys in one place.

I was thinking this is probably more my price range if I trade in my clio

www.concordegarage.co.uk/used-cars/suzuk...ines-201147431190074

that doesn't look too bad in price? for age/mileage does it?

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds