BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Largest recommended tyres for an Auto

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 07:03 - 10 Dec 2011 18:51 #27438 by Sandez
I just bought a newer '07 Auto Jimny today, so I'm going to have the fun of transferring most of my stuff from my old one. Some parts I wont be transferring as I want to do it right on this one. One of the things I want to do is put bigger tyres on it.

I'm not planning on putting any reduction gears or swappings diffs or anything, keeping the stock running gear. I was wondering what the biggest tyre you would recommend I put? I want to put in 235/75/15 but I'm concerned it might damage the gearbox over time. Should I be concerned or go for it?

I do plan on putting a transmission cooler and temp monitor in to keep an eye on things, but would that be enough? Future plans might be to put reduction gears in but I'm not going to think about that yet.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2011 18:51 by Sandez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• r_ogilvy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 07:30 #27440 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: Largest recommended tyres for an A/T
Hi, I had 235/75/15s on mine before the 31s I have put on.
They were fine on there.
I wouldn't go any larger as you will be in my position and have hardly any drive. Rocklobster needed.
Iv had my 31s on for about a month and nothings broke and havnt got any sings of wear.
The main thing is if you go any larger you won't have any high range 4x4 like me.
Ur low will be like your high and your high will be unusable, but surprisingly its still good off road.

But 235/75/15s I never had any problems, depending on tyre some are a bit bigger than what they say when you measure them. A good make is normally spot on as far as I no.

I'm new to jimnys so listen to other people before me :)

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 21:56 #27511 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Largest recommended tyres for an A/T

r_ogilvy wrote: Hi, I had 235/75/15s on mine before the 31s I have put on.
They were fine on there.

I hope you are right, I would like to hear from someone who has had 235's or larger for a longer period before I commit.

Thanks Ogilvy

More
09 Dec 2011 12:58 #27630 by Iain
Hi

I have run 235 75 r15 kl71's mud tyres for the last 5 years and I regularly drive the car across to the alps and the pyrenees to play in the snow, My jimny is 2001 model and is fine with them.

Hope this helps

Iain

I Love Waypoint Tours Holidays

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2011 13:23 - 09 Dec 2011 13:26 #27631 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Largest recommended tyres for an A/T
You do have some sort of body or suspension lift right?
Your profile picture doesn't look like you do but its hard to say for sure...
Last edit: 09 Dec 2011 13:26 by goatboy.

More
09 Dec 2011 21:06 #27714 by Iain
Hi,
I ran 235 At's for a few years before I put the Mt's on, the At's fitted with no lift but I did have to remove my front mudguards.
The mud tyres did rub a bit on full flex so I put a 2' lift on

I Love Waypoint Tours Holidays

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Dec 2011 18:50 #27803 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Largest recommended tyres for an A/T

Iain wrote: Hi,
I ran 235 At's for a few years before I put the Mt's on, the At's fitted with no lift but I did have to remove my front mudguards.
The mud tyres did rub a bit on full flex so I put a 2' lift on

I think I may have made it confusing by saying A/T, but I meant Automatic transmission, not All Terrains.

goatboy wrote: You do have some sort of body or suspension lift right?
Your profile picture doesn't look like you do but its hard to say for sure...

My profile pic is of the old Jimny, not the new one. It hasn't got a lift yet but will be getting a 3" by the time I get the tyres.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds