BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How Tough? A Tale of Abuse...

• buddhuu
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2011 14:24 - 24 Nov 2011 14:24 #26489 by buddhuu
How Tough? A Tale of Abuse... was created by buddhuu
To my shame I am a completely incompetent car owner. I am rubbish at maintenance, have a memory like... something with a bad memory, and have even been known to totally forget a year's service.

I bought a 51 reg Jimny new, however many years ago that was...

It's done about 150k now. It's been over mountains and tracks on holidays in Ireland, it's got me out of snowy situations at home by cutting through fields when the roads were jammed with abandoned cars and the ploughs couldn't get through. On a daily basis it rumbles over some of the worst maintained rural roads in Hertfordshire.

A couple of years ago I had trouble with it overheating. In fact, I drove back from Cornwall to Hitchin in Herts with the temperature needle jammed against the ceiling and the radiator boiling. I had to stop every 10 minutes to put more water in. A cowboy mechanic mate did a temporary repair and I carried on driving it for another 6 months with frequent overheating.

When I eventually took it to my proper mechanic he shrugged and looked at me in disgust. "That'll be your head gasket knackered at least," he said. "And you've probably stuffed the engine generally." I left it with him and expected the worst. A day later I had a call from him with an unbelievably low bill. He was incredulous and told me that all he'd found that needed doing was a new radiator. He accused me of exaggerating the Cornwall story until my wife confirmed the truth of my stupidity.

A few months later I went back to him and asked him why the engine was making a noise. Again he phoned me the next day and asked me how long I'd heard the noise. I told him it was a couple of weeks. "Well," he sighed. "There was just about no oil in it." He went on to mention that I might have noticed the oil light if I didn't have sunglasses, pens etc stacked in front of the instruments.

I confessed that I'd had it serviced by the cut-price cowboy. The real mechanic shrugged and told me that the cowboy hadn't tightened a drain plug... or something like that.

I learned my lesson. I now take the Jimny to the proper mechanic regularly and at the first sign of any problems. I love the car and am thoroughly ashamed of my negligence. But even more than that I am amazed that, despite what I put it through, that 10 year old Jimny is still going strong. What's more, it has NEVER failed to start first time.

If I can ever afford another new car - even if I win the lottery - I'll just get another Jimny. Amazing things.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2011 14:24 by buddhuu.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2011 14:50 #26490 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: How Tough? A Tale of Abuse...
Nice B) I think that if I were to go round the world in any truck or car I think it will have to be the jimny :)
For the shear reliability and robustness ;)

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2011 15:05 #26492 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: How Tough? A Tale of Abuse...
Welcome along, glad to see someone else from Hertfordshire!

Ace story, wish I was as happy with my Jimny (mutters swear words underbreath :lol: )

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds