BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2011 10:12 #25927 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: New member
Prices must have really shot up!

Mines a 2001 Y-reg 63k miles and I paid £1450 for it back in April. It will be for sale after the snow, sometime before April when the insurance runs out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2011 10:17 #25928 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: New member
As said before, I don't think there is a lot of difference between the engines apart from maintenance schedules.

You would need to give an older car a good look around, rust in the boot floor etc.

Also you should budget for a bit of a re-furb almost immediately. Low mileage ones have typically been owned by old ladies and have spent most of their life sitting on the drive. Therefore, rather than wearing out, the bearings etc. have rusted out. So once you start using it they can fail quickly.....if I had a pound for everyone who has phone me up saying "I bought an immaculate low mileage one from a pensioner last week and this week it seems to need rebuilding". Don't let this put you off, just budget for it.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• caveman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2011 11:03 #25929 by caveman
Replied by caveman on topic Re: New member
It'll probably be better to get a slightly newer one then as I will be using it fairly regularly. Thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully next time you hear from me I'll have myself a Jimny.

More
17 Nov 2011 20:58 - 17 Nov 2011 20:59 #25984 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: New member
Welcome!!!

I bought a 2000 hard top model which fell just inside the twin cam chain driven engine times. It get's taxed the lower amount and what was important to me apart from no rust was No ABS for Off Roading!

Just a little consideration.

Where are you? I know of a W reg Gold Jimny for sale that I used to own going for about £2k and has been in the family from new. I've not been under it for a while though and don't know it's mileage. It's a hard top with the single cam engine.

If I had enough money I'd be buying it back and cutting it up to become a tray back but I don;t so that's that!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 17 Nov 2011 20:59 by kirkynut.

• caveman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 10:12 #26001 by caveman
Replied by caveman on topic Re: New member
I would certainly be interested if the mileage isn't overly high as it will be taking me to work quite regularly, and of course if there's no rot. I'm in Kent, very close to Dartford Bridge. I see you're in Southend which isn't too far. If you could find out about it I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Talking of ABS, does anyone know if is it just later models that have this fitted? I know ABS is not good when off-road, but isn't it just a case of taking a fuse out to turn it off?

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 19:13 #26040 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: New member
Martin, do you know how to check whether or not a jimny is galvanised? I have a 2000 X plate with the M13A engine. Just had it mot'd and although its done 108k miles the mechanic said it is absolutely solid and has very little rust anywhere.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 19:26 #26043 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: New member
i did same as you kirky and got 2000 x plate with twin cam motor and cheaper road tax! do you know bif yours is galvanised or not. If not, do you think it has made a difference to your bodywork? Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds