BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

RTC steering dampers

• zuki andy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 08:37 #23475 by zuki andy
RTC steering dampers was created by zuki andy
Has any one in the UK tried one of them? The type that as a spring on them. I see a lot of the aus guys have them. Any feedback would be great. Thanks Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 10:09 #23479 by JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
hey mate im running one on my road jimny and i find it very good. takes alot of the slop out of the steering and minimizes some of the common jimny wobbles. only problem i have is its non-power steer, so its a little heavy around the car park.

JIMNY EXTREME 4X4
Jimnys should come standard with yota diffs and 35's

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 11:15 #23487 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
Eyup mate were do you get them from is there anyone in the uk who stock them.

Cheers
James :)

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 12:08 #23488 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
You can get the brackets from bigjimny shop and the damper itself from ebay (or a couple of places do a complete kit)
However I have never seen the ones with a spring on like the guys in Oz seem to run. The ones in the UK seem to be just a damper...

More
11 Oct 2011 13:01 #23489 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
I guess that is what "RTC" stands for - "Return to Centre". The spring helps the steering to straighten up, over coming castor correction problems and lack of Power Steering. I think early OZ Jimnys were sold without PAS whilst I am pretty sure that all the Jimnys for us weak, pale, northern hemisphere types have PAS to stop us developing unsightly muscles.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 13:18 #23490 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationLooks like you are right Martin...
A quick ebay reveals

"These all RTC (return to centre) steering dampers out perform conventional steering dampers hands down. When you have larger tyres fitted or when you run low tyre pressures even the best steering dampers struggle to cope, feedback through the steering wheel increases and returning the wheel back to centre becomes hard work.

Fit one of these Terrafirma RTC dampers and you will feel the difference instantly, the coil-over spring compresses and stretches from lock to lock dramatically reducing the return to centre effort, the spring also works in harmony with the damper eliminating shimmy and vibration."

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 13:32 #23491 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
£59! :ohmy:

• zuki andy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2011 14:39 #23496 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
Dont know of any one in uk selling one specific for jimny, terrafima do one for defender (different to disco) defender= eye-pin. Disco= pin-pin. I think it may be longer also.

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2011 18:51 #23797 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: RTC steering dampers
just found this on ebay....

Jimny RTC Damper

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds