BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

shackle question

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2011 10:19 #22969 by adam
shackle question was created by adam
Hello people,
I have a slightly thick question about shackles on the recovery lugs front and rear.
I bought 4 bow shackles to have permanently attached. the diameter of the pin is 18mm. each shackle is 3.25 tone. The first one (rear near side) went striaght on.
All the rest are slightly too tight. I know if I file the rear off side down it WILL fit but havent yet but the front are quite a way off. to save me buying more of the wrong size can someone tell me where to get the correct size from please! Now my next question is even if I got the front ones to fit, they seem too close to the anti roll bar and im worried even with smaller shackles, they will catch. does this sound normal?

Thanks

Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2011 10:52 #22970 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: shackle question
I had to borrow a shackle at Wagtail and I'm pretty sure it was a 2 tonne one from screwfix.

www.screwfix.com/p/alloy-steel-bow-style...g-shackle-2-0t/59087

But don't take my word for it as I know nothing about shackles.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2011 11:25 #22971 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: shackle question
Thanks Goatboy, any ideas about the anti roll bar?

More
03 Oct 2011 11:27 #22972 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: shackle question
I've got 3.25t bow shackles for mine. On my front eye though there is the elongated holes but further up there are bigger round holes, i use these but when using a bridle it squashes the black trim in the middle of the bumper.

I'd not bother having them on all the time personally though. a) they will rattle like hell and quickly become annoying b) will get nicked(round some parts near me anyway c) may seize on/up.

I guess you are aiming then when being recovered to attach another shackle to the ones you've left on the car? Best thing imho is to just put a strap and shackles on before you set off as inevitably you will get stuck in the deepest and coldest mud you can find and have to grope around trying to feel around to put the strap on. After i've used mine i give them a good clean and make sure the threads are clean then spray with wd40. Then before any trip where i'll be using them i give them another spray.

Don't forget to back them off when you put them on either.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
03 Oct 2011 11:40 - 03 Oct 2011 11:41 #22973 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: shackle question
The shackle goatboy borrow was one of mine and he right it's was a 2t from screwfix.

Attachment phoca_thumb_l_DSCF1546_2011-10-03.jpg not found

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Oct 2011 11:41 by dirtydogz.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2011 11:46 #22974 by adam
mmm interesting, Iv not seen the other holes, Ill have a look later. thanks
Iv just seen the exact ones on ebay and a bit cheeper!

still cofused about the anti roll bar though :s

thanks guys

More
03 Oct 2011 12:04 #22975 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: shackle question
Just taken two photo of my shackles with the anti roll bar still fitted.

Attachment DSCF1575.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF1577.JPG not found

Hope this helps.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2011 12:09 #22976 by adam
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationthanks for that dirtydogz I think maybe I have bought too bigger ones, these are ones I bought!

More
03 Oct 2011 13:00 #22977 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: shackle question
I bought tested blue pin 3.25t jobbies. I've never had any issues with the anti roll bar either.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds