BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mix and match suspension combination question

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 03:23 #22894 by Sandez
Hi guys,

I currently have a '01 manual Jimny with the ProComp ES1000 2" Lift. My partner, due to her serious injuries, finds the ride to be quite unbearable and does not want to get in it on road let alone off road.

Therefore, I am contemplating the following: If I am able to sell the Jimny at the right price, then I will be looking at purchasing a newer '05+ auto Jimny. I want to put a 3" suspension lift onto it this time but have it as soft as possible. I still want to keep the budget low so please dont recommend some premium shocks to use instead.

I was considering the following combination. OME shocks, as they are meant to be really soft, along with ProComp 3" springs. The OME springs are meant to be really stiff, so by replacing them I should have a softer ride. The OME lift kit comes in a 2" lift not a 3". Rocky-Road Outfitters sell the OME lift kit as a 3" by adding 1" spring spacers to the 2" combination. Given this, can anyone see there being an issue with using 3" springs with the 2" shocks. I thought about getting the 1.5" front and rear shock extension brackets which should eleviate the length problem, but it might cause another by allowing the shock to fully compress before the car hits the bump stops

Has anyone tried this or OME shocks with another spring combination?
Can anyone tell me the open and closed lengths of the 2" and 3" ProComp shocks?

The OME shocks are:
Front - Open length is 450mm - Closed length is 281mm
Rear - Open length is 502mm - Closed length is 314mm

Also, if I buy the 2" body lift, ontop of the 3" suspension lift, apart from the brake lines, what other issues will the body lift cause?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2011 11:23 #22908 by Obarno
Hi - I have done exactly what you are thinking of. I fitted an OME kit - springs and shocks - to my 2001 auto and it rides well. The ride is soft but also a bit bouncy - but then aren't they all? After that I fitted 1 1'2" spring spacers and found the shocks weren't then long enough - surprise surprise! So I fitted rear shock locators gaining 1 1/2" and front shock repositioners also 1 1'2". I like it and am quite happy with it. It rides quite differently from my VVT which has 1000es shocks on the front and Trailmaster comfort range on the back which are very similar in their operation.
I trial the auto when I am backin the UK and it works well. I am a member of a Land Rover club and frequently beat well prepped 90's, so the articulation and flexibilty is good. Being OME I expect it will wear well as their products seem to so well made. I had a Sammi with a 2" OME lift for about 5 years and it was exactly the same when I sold it as when I bought the kit.
I was going to say if you are anywhere near me in the UK come and have a ride, but then I looked at your profile and find you are just about as far away as you could be!
Good luck

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• Sandez
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2011 11:55 #22912 by Sandez
Given what you have said, the extensions sound like a must. Would you say the OME kit is more comfortable than the ES1000?

If I mix the OME shocks (as OME are meant to have soft shocks with harder springs) with ProComp springs, the ride should be softer again compared to the OME kit. Would you say this would be too soft or too bouncy? Naturally I would expect more body roll, but given I dont notice much on the ES1000 I can deal with some.

More
02 Oct 2011 12:22 - 03 Oct 2011 05:45 #22917 by Obarno
Hi - the shock extensions are a must. As regards mixing Procomp springs with OME shocks - to be honest I don't know. If the Procomp are softer it may be too soft and bottom out very easily, but as I say I don't know. I do think however, that OME spend a lot of time and effort getting their spring/shock ratings to work as a pair and they have reputation, deservedly, for 'getting it right'. Their products also seem to be long lived.

As regards which is more comfortable - its a bit of a subjective thing. The OME is definteily softer and the Procomp is a little firmer. I suppose it also depends on where you drive - In France with the VVT its along tracks with stones and rocks, and rocky hill climbs. In the UK it tends to be more muddy. I don't find the Procomp uncomfortable but I suppose realistically you get more body movement with the VVT whereas with the auto you get more axle movement.

Edit - Monday Morning
Another thought occured to me - have you thought about using Procomp springs with Rancho RS9000 shocks? The shocks are fully adjustable from hard to soft so you could then obtain the ride softness you are looking for. You can also get an 'in cab' adjuster for them for changing the ride on the go.
I've had them on my Wrangler for about 10 years and although they are now a bit rusty they work as well as ever. Just a thought!
Don't know if this helps you or just adds to the confusion! Good luck and let us know what you decide, and importantly how you find the ride.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
Last edit: 03 Oct 2011 05:45 by Obarno.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds