BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

self adhesive number plates

More
20 Sep 2011 19:37 #22210 by Johnniehec
Oops!
I ran like this,

Attachment CIMG1024.JPG not found

Then put a sticky on the bonnet as well.
I had overheating problems so I've removed the plastic on frm the grille just leaving the sticky.
The original would be easy to refit though even with the cut bumper.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 20:26 #22216 by ooky_123

adam wrote: This is what I mean! so many people say it is and so many people say it isnt. You see them alot on sporty cars like TVRs and MX5s

Still illegal ... .. I used to have a flexi plate on my TVR, on the lower air dam, but now have to have a hard one on the front .. this reduces cooling when in traffic ... so had to get a second Kenlow fan fitted :(.

I have a flexi one on our Jimny, and I keep the hard plastic one in the boot for MOT's

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
20 Sep 2011 20:34 #22218 by facade
In the olden days I has a flexible plate stuck on the bonnet of my little spitfire, BL had no idea about cooling and the solid plate completely blocked the grille. That got me stopped as it is "difficult to read sir"

I think any mounting off the vertical or flat is frowned on as the number plate is the target for the laser speed gun, and they need a flat plate to BS whatever to reflect the signal.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2011 07:24 #22240 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: self adhesive number plates
Thanks everyone and Johnniehec im glad you have posted that photo as that is exactly the way I want to cut my bumper.

I have taken the risk and ordered one from ebay £9 who claim they are the legal font so at least half way there and I will keep the plastic one under the floor in the boot :whistle:

More
21 Sep 2011 08:32 #22244 by ooky_123
well our stick on plate is across the front of the bonnet.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2011 08:53 #22246 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: self adhesive number plates
Here's mine when I first bought it.
Plate is still in the same place on the bonnet, still illegal as it can get!

Square plate still in jiffy bag in garage waiting till Jim is back on the road with his steel bumpers fitted etc, then that will be going on.

Reasons the 'stick-on' is still on is that Jim is off the road at the moment, if I remove it, I will have to get rid of the 'sticky residue', probably have to t-cut the paintwork, and I have 100 & 1 other jobs going on at the moment. LoL!

More
21 Sep 2011 09:59 - 21 Sep 2011 10:01 #22257 by Johnniehec
Adam,
before you start cutting I'll take and post a couple more pictures of the cut bumper. I actually cut a bit out of the black lower central section which has the horizontal flat bit behind as well (not shown in this picture). This gave it a bit more strength and retained the fixings.
cheers,
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 10:01 by Johnniehec.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2011 10:16 #22258 by adam
Thanks Jon. I was just about to ask if you could do that!! ;)

More
21 Sep 2011 10:46 #22263 by ooky_123

Keefe wrote: Here's mine when I first bought it.
Plate is still in the same place on the bonnet, still illegal as it can get!

Square plate still in jiffy bag in garage waiting till Jim is back on the road with his steel bumpers fitted etc, then that will be going on.

Reasons the 'stick-on' is still on is that Jim is off the road at the moment, if I remove it, I will have to get rid of the 'sticky residue', probably have to t-cut the paintwork, and I have 100 & 1 other jobs going on at the moment. LoL!

Ours in exactly the same place ... I just figure an illegal stick on plate can still be read and is better than fitting a legal one that has a high possibility of getting broken when offroading.
My MOT tester knows the legal plate is only fitted for the MOT and my local Plod donot seem to worry

The following user(s) said Thank You: adam

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2011 11:07 #22264 by adam
I wander what the police would say in Lancaster. If I was still living in Arnside it might of been broadcasted on the broad sheet!!! :silly: :silly:

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2011 09:02 #22379 by adam
Hey Johnniehec when you cut your bumper down did you have to re inforce the bottom or have you just left it hanging? as I have had a look under and it seems like it is attached to the black skid plate so if I cut it all off will the bumper just be hanging on by the top part?

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2011 09:55 #22422 by adam
I have just recieved my self adhesive plate today and a couple of things I have noticed> Is it normal for each letter to be on separately and it seems to be a slight grey in colour not true white, is that normal?

All the sizes are correct though!

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds