BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Dilemma

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2011 17:14 #21663 by adam
Dilemma was created by adam
Hi all, I have a little dilemma and thought you might be able to help. I just bought the 1.5” spring spacer kit from Bits4Vits. I have spent most the day getting it on mainly as the bolts were so stuck. Anyway for those of you that don’t know what comes in the kit, it comes with 1.5” spacers, rear shock re locators and front shock extensions. All went on fine with a little help with my friend Mr hammer! Apart from I could not for the life of me get my front shocks un done at the top so I haven’t managed to get the extensions in. My dilemma is do I buy new shocks and just cut mine off? I have seen from Jimny Bits I can get Pro comp shocks in lengths of standard/ 1” or 2”. What should I buy? Will the extensions fit the pro comps on the standard or do I buy the 1” or 2”?
Any ideas???
Thanks
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2011 17:17 #21664 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Dilemma
I'd buy extended shocks, this will give added articulation if the ARB is removed.

More
11 Sep 2011 18:10 #21674 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Dilemma
When you say you can't get them undone do you mean that the shock keeps rotating with the nut?

I would use the extensions personally as dave has tailored them to match the spacers.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2011 18:46 #21683 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Dilemma
the top of the front shocks are a pain in the butt but if you use a good ring spanner & a good quality pair of vise grips to hold the top they should come off but if all fails you will just have to cut them off & get some replacements

i have some standard jimny shocks available if you need some

i think you will find that the shock extenions you have for the standard shocks will not fit on pro comps if you wanted to as they use a totaly differant thread

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2011 08:00 #21705 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: Dilemma
Yeah, my friend and I spent ages. there was no getting them off.
He said we would snap them if we used a bigger bar! :sick:
We also snaped one other bolt which luckerly he had a spare rattling around in is bobtail!

Can I use the 2" procomp or will they be too long?

I had to pick the mrs up last night, 15 miles on the motorway and 15 miles on A roads in High winds and seemed ok but assume its still best to add the extra length to the front shock especially for off roading!

Thanks people for your inputs so far and vitara_mad Ill let you know if I need thoughs shocks thanks!

In the mean time, it wont effect my Jimny too much will it? I like the new height and almost feels softer than before.

Thanks

Adam

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2011 09:49 #21710 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Dilemma
it will be perfectly fine to drive with the sping spacers & standard shocks

More
12 Sep 2011 13:15 #21722 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Dilemma
Dave run with 2" procomps before going up to a full kit. They are technically too long by 1/4" but if you keep the arb on that will limit your flex anyway. You will get the stock ones undone though, i sprayed mine with wd40 everyday for a week.

The other option you have is to cut or burn the standard top bushes so you can get a set of molegrips under the nut just take care not to knacker the thread.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2011 13:54 #21725 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: Dilemma
Yeah I thought I might have ago at hacking the tops off. I will try spraying like you say and take a look at the pro comp again. Jimny bits site seems quite cheap for them!

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds