BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spring spacers

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 09:09 #21369 by adam
Spring spacers was created by adam
Hi all,

I understand there maybe conversions about the spring spacers on here but I still can’t find my answer.

If I buy the 1.5” spacers from Bits4Vits can I fit them without the shock extensions and the rear re locators? I know what they do but do I have to have them on? will they damage my car if I dont?

I would only be doing mild off roading, mainly just want it lifted for a better look!

Thanks

Adam
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1971
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 10:32 #21372 by mark1971
Replied by mark1971 on topic Re: Spring spacers
I tried fitting them on my jimny and found that the shocks wouldn't even reach the mounting points on the axle even with the car lowered back down to the ground. If you could manage to get the bolts back in the shock would be overly extended and the ride would be horrendous.
Just my opinion, others may have got it to work.

Mark

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 10:41 #21373 by adam
Replied by adam on topic Re: Spring spacers
I didnt think of it like that Mark. mmmmm Ill have to have a think.

If you had used spring compressers that might of helped!

Thanks

Adam

More
06 Sep 2011 13:08 #21375 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Spring spacers
You can run them without any other mods at all. I had the same stuggle to get the shocks bolt back in on the front, it goes in but theres a lot of swearing and moaning! Spring compressors aren't needed as you jack the axle up to meet the shock, the same for removal. Once the shock is undone you jack up the opposing side and the springs drops out.

I'm not sure how long the shocks would last long term being pre-extended.

I've replied in a few threads on the subject now so i apologise to those that have heard it before but even for mild off road the ride is terrible. Its far too hard, while i like the ride on road its ruined off road. When you need control it will be skipping and bouncing over stuff.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 13:33 #21377 by adam
so Im guessing these would be better then. or even better to save for the real thing like rough country or pro comp! thanks for your input though mcjimny..
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2011 13:53 #21380 by mcjimny
That is exactly what i'm now running. The rear extensions are well worth it anyway, i was surprised at how much of a difference they made to the flex and they can of course be used with any other lift in the future.

I will still have a full kit in the future but as it is, i can achieve a sensible lift giving me room for some better tyres and making the car more capable off road. Until i can afford to run this as a toy and get another run around i won't be doing anything more to it to lift it further.

I think as an all round package its brilliant value, you can run bigger tyres and have that little more room under the car.

The way i see it the money i've saved on a full kit has enabled me to spend in other areas.

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 14:09 #21384 by adam
Very sensible thinking. When I first started getting into all this modding and preping for off roading I was worned I would become obsessed, I feel it happening!!!:s

More
06 Sep 2011 14:19 #21387 by mcjimny
I have to keep a lid on it. I knew what would happen from the start. As it always goes you start with tyres after you find they limit where you can go, then you want a better stance and a lift to take some bigger tyres etc etc

I have always said though that i would never go too far personally without a cage, once i've got it higher and a crawler box of some sort to deal with the much bigger rubber you are soon taking it to places that will push the limits of the truck.
I'm already at the point where i want to do stuff with more of an aim to it, just driving round a p&p site doesn't always cut it now and i spend as much time helping with recovery now. I'm looking to do some trialling but again until it becomes a toy its not an option. Lets face it once i'm running serious rubber, cage, winch and hd bumpers its no longer practical to use on the road.

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2011 17:45 - 06 Sep 2011 17:46 #21403 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Spring spacers
Hi
Get the shock extenders if you get the spacers - my ride was rank until I got the rear shock extenders fitted. Made a massive improvement.

The next thing is the body lift ;), just fitted mine - and with the big tyres, shock and body spacers - best money I've spent on a car. Looks excellent.

Steering damper next...... :)
Last edit: 06 Sep 2011 17:46 by Back in Black. Reason: Typo

More
06 Sep 2011 18:54 #21409 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Spring spacers
Adam wrote

When I first started getting into all this modding and preping for off roading I was worned I would become obsessed, I feel it happening!

:laugh:
Yes the force is strong, like many before you who have followed the dark path you must fight to maintain control of your credit cards, else as your powers develop, you risk being fully seduced by the dark side, growing ever taller and to boldly go where no offroader has gone before. :evil:

• adam
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2011 10:14 #21438 by adam
Thanks everyone. I just bought the kit from Bit4Vits this morning. Aready been emailed saying my items will be shipped out today so thumbs up to Dave!
Hopefully if the weather is nice on Sunday ill be fitting them. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan:sick:

If anyone has any recomendations about fitting these, please share as this will be my first time!!:silly:
Attachments:

More
07 Sep 2011 12:12 #21454 by mcjimny
Before they even arrive get out there and spray all the bolts with wd40. Do it a few times before even trying to undo anything.

Use a trolley jack to lower a side while you support the other side. Its easier to lower the axle to the shock mount than to force the shock up or down by hand to meet it. Once you've undone the shock the axle will drop far enough for the spring to fall out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: adam

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds