BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Talk me into getting a Jimny

• ex_scamper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2011 15:35 #17880 by ex_scamper
Talk me into getting a Jimny was created by ex_scamper
Actually, I don't need to be talked into it. I've been to see one and it was stunningly robust - ten years old and no rust worth speaking of. However, I still have a few reservations.
Insurance... This is going to be a second car, a fun car, but I would like to put my 17 year old learner driver son on it. If I can't, for a reasonable price (I.e not too far off something more conventional) it is a no go. I would accept limited mileage. I will be the main user.
Handling... Is it a bit "unforgiving" in the wet?
Opinions welcome.
Thanks in anticipation,
Gregor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2011 16:00 #17882 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny
Hmmm... Well insurance wise, they can be a bit pricey if you're going through the kind of normal people like Direct Line etc but if it's an older car then somewhere like Adrian Flux should be able to help keep it down to a reasonable level.

Handeling wise, it's really not too bad. I had a Clio before my Jimny and that was one of my concerns because the Clio handled really well, but after being used to the Jimny now I find it's pretty reasonable and in the wet or ice the only reason for getting out of shape is poor driving, it just over steers rather than under steers which is easier to deal with!

Fuel can be a bit of an issue though if you're used to running a supermini. My Clio would get 500 miles to the same amount of fuel the Jimny gets 275 at best :/

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2011 16:02 #17885 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny
Oh and as the Mrs. Says... "You certainly couldn't have gone down/up that in a Polo"

More
16 Jun 2011 16:06 #17888 by mlines
If its a second car then you can go for one of those second car, low mileage policies. Mine is £120 per year, fully comp at the moment. This is on a 1,000 road miles per year. I did have it at 5000 miles but never got anywhere near that, it was around £170 per year fully comp at 5000 miles per year.

However, the Jimny in not in a very low Insurance category so when you add a 17 year old on....:(

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: ex_scamper

• ex_scamper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2011 16:14 #17895 by ex_scamper
Replied by ex_scamper on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny
Good grief, quick replies! Thanks! I was with Flux for my Scamp. They won't allow me to add my son as a named driver, but will probably allow him to take out a policy with me as a named driver, though at what cost I know not... ironic if he ends up "fronting" for me, the genuine main user!
Quinn look like they will give me TPFT for £1200 when he's on a provisional. Not sure what happens if he passes his test. I see there are some young Jimny drivers on this board. Hope some can contribute to this discussion.
Fuel consumption is not an issue as I have another car.
Thanks again,
Gregor

More
16 Jun 2011 18:06 - 16 Jun 2011 18:12 #17901 by dirtydogz
If your not use it for going off road give Brentacer a ring 01792650933.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 16 Jun 2011 18:12 by dirtydogz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ex_scamper

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2011 04:51 #17920 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny
Try endsleigh insurance - they're student insurance brokers - they normally beat any genuine quote straight away, but always tell them you'll ring them back - ring them back a short while laters with another "genuine quote" ;-) thats slightly lower and they should beat it - ive been with them for 8 years and they always come in cheaper than anywhere else. My first car, a pug 306 1.9 was 900 quid with them 3rd party - most places wanted double that

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2011 05:43 #17923 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny
I'm 21 and my Jimny is my 2nd car... first being a '51 Fiesta

Insurance on the Jimny is about £950-1000... thats having passed when i was 17, clean license and ncb!

This year i expect it to be £750-800

Handling wise, its slower compared to the fiesta, and rolls a little more... but slow and dodgy round corners at speed is great to put the shivvers up him!

• ex_scamper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 15:29 #17993 by ex_scamper
Well chaps, I've taken the plunge and committed to buying a 03 plate car. Exceptionally well built, I reckon.
Thanks for the advice. Still open to ideas about insurance, though.
Gregor

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 16:31 #18000 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Talk me into getting a Jimny

ex_scamper wrote: Well chaps, I've taken the plunge and committed to buying a 03 plate car. Exceptionally well built, I reckon.
Thanks for the advice. Still open to ideas about insurance, though.
Gregor

I'm 23 and insurance is still a nightmare. As soon as I mentioned it had a suspension lift, normal insurance companies wouldnt touch me. Ended up going with NIG through Adrian Flux and now I pay more for the insurance on my 1.3 Jimny than I do on my 3.2 Boxster S. Do you intend on modifying the Jimny or keeping it standard?

• ex_scamper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2011 17:30 #18006 by ex_scamper
Definitely keeping it standard. It is very much going to be a second car, so insurance would be cheap, except that I want my 17 year old son on the policy. I see from another thread that there are some 17 year olds on the board, so I'm hoping one of them will tell me how it's done!
Great forum, by the way.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds