BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Off road driving technices.

• Fingers
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 05:45 - 30 May 2011 05:48 #17077 by Fingers
Off road driving technices. was created by Fingers
Hi, I've take my jimny to an off road pay n play site yesterday. The ground wasn't very flat at all.

Anyway. Driving style/ technic. What's best??
I found 1st gear low was still a bit high. Even at idle
the truck was running away. My wheels/tires are only 215/80/r15
and so I found myself doing alot of clutch work. But this is gunna wear the clutch really fast.
So any advice on driving style or transfer box upgrades

it would be cool if you. Could get a transfer box that lowered , low range and left high range alone.

Any advice I'd be thankful for. Jon
Last edit: 30 May 2011 05:48 by Fingers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bannerbrother
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 06:34 #17078 by Bannerbrother
Replied by Bannerbrother on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
I also found that the low box isnt that low. There is a rock lobster conversion (80% lower than standard) but its a daily driver so woundered how this would effect the high box, as i wouldnt want to comprimise the economy.

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 06:58 #17080 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
Changing the ratio of your transfer box shouldn't do anything to the daily drive as far as I'm aware as you're just altering the ratio of the low box.

If you're changing the size of the tyres on the car then you'll likely need to alter the low box anyway as you've raised the gearing by going larger on the tyres.

Personally I'm running the standard 205/70s still and the low box is a bit low even!

One pointer I can give you to off road driving is at all times look into the distance and plan a route that won't make your car tip left or right as it can start to get very dangerous. If you try to get up something steep and fail, don't hit the brakes too hard or pull the handbrake, get it into reverse as fast as you can and use the clutch because the Jimny is so short you'll easily go over backwards!

• rajsuzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 10:51 - 30 May 2011 10:56 #17092 by rajsuzuki
Replied by rajsuzuki on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
I don't know of any conversion which would only lower the low ratio and leave the high ratio as standard

Reduction Ratio
4:1
5:1
6:1
8:1
these are the different ratio you can reduce to 8:1 been for severe winch events and with a top speed of walking pace .
when I put mine in it brought my top speed down to 55 to 58 mph with a really good bank and a tail wind I can get NOW GET READY FOR THIS TO 63mph
Last edit: 30 May 2011 10:56 by rajsuzuki.

• Fingers
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 13:21 #17097 by Fingers
Replied by Fingers on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
Where could you get any reduction kits from??

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 14:48 #17098 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
yes, the low box isnt that low, this is why i put a transfert box from a SJ 413 with a 4.16
In 1st low range : :silly:

A+

More
30 May 2011 15:17 #17100 by Johnniehec

Fingers wrote: Where could you get any reduction kits from??

You need to do some more searching on this site it's all been discussed , why, how, how much etc, in various threads look for rocklobster.
Cheers
john.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 15:31 #17104 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
Most rocklobster conversions only affect the low ratios and leave the high ratio virtually standard - ours is

If you go for bigger tyres then this will affect your top speed and the he-man 1.3 struggles with the effect of big tyres on the high gearing
If you want the off road ability you have to put up with the less sparkling on road performance :cheer:

• rajsuzuki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 15:38 #17106 by rajsuzuki
Replied by rajsuzuki on topic Re: Off road driving technices.
Off road armory
Rs manufacturing

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2011 15:47 #17107 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Off road driving technices.

rajsuzuki wrote: Off road armory
Rs manufacturing

also Redacted

More
01 Jun 2011 19:46 #17195 by kirkynut
Unfortunately, the Jimny came with rather high ratio's in the low range gears. It also came with a chain taking some of the drive in the transfer box. This has caused some issues for some people as the chain can stretch.

The Jimny was not designed by Suzuki to be as hardcore offroad as the SJ - albeit the SJ was never designed to do what many have made it do, but it was over engineered and thus coped quite well.

The design of the transfer box is a reflection on Suzuki's intentions for the vehicle to be used as it was sold and not modified anywhere near to the level of mine and many others.

As such, in my personal opinion and not necessarily that of the host of this site (is that subtle enough Martin?) the best way to reduce the ratio's in your transfer box is to purchase a "Rocklobster" box and all the necessary bits to fit one.

You run the same size tyres as I do 215/80/15's and as these are much bigger than normal, the slightly lower ratio of a "Rocklobster" in high ratio brings it back in line with the factory gearing.

You also have the benefit of ultra low, low box when off road which will reduce the strain on the clutch and give you engine braking to slow you down on decents, so the car doesn't run away with you, as you have described.

The only issue I see with using a Rocklobster in a daily driver, as far as I can see, is that the usual way of mounting it uses a bolt through the outrigger on the chassis and the box with nylon bushes between, which transmits a bit of the transmission noise intot he cabin.

Mine seems alot noisier than I anticipate others do, but my car is not a daily car, so it does not bother me. If I had to use mine as a daily, I think I could live with it, or get used to it.

I hope this woffle helps you decide.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds