BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny popularity in the UK.

More
23 Apr 2011 22:51 #15406 by mcjimny
I know that cost is a big factor for many when it comes to off roading, many don't want to spend a lot on a truck just to hammer off road and the ability to DIY mods is a consideration. The point i'm leading to is that I browse around on some of the overseas forums and there seems to be a bigger following for the Jimny though than over here in the UK.
When you go on uk general 4x4 sites it seems that people using zuks seem to still be throwing money at SJ's/sammies.
I know more Jimny's are getting modded as the early ones become cheaper and this is the point i can't get. When you see SJs advertised for £1500 with a few reasonable mods when you can get a cheap Jimny for £800-£1000. Then the low end of the scale of sub £500 SJ's etc are typically carrying the usual issues, fine if you keep it legal and just patch it up and DIY a load of mods.

I know a guy who has a challenge Sammy, with 1.6 lump, coils, arbs, hi - steer, loads of custom parts etc etc.. and i can't help wondering if he would have a truck just as capable if not more so had he spent the same on a jimny, bearing in mind this thing has had a lot of work to make it as tidy as it is.

I loved my SJ but i wouldn't have one over my jimny now. It was more uncomfortable, battling rust on what tin was left, used more fuel, more temperamental. Realistically in my opinion the Jimny is a logical progression and retains the character of the SJ's and yet gives you a modern take coils, power steering, injection.

Excuse my ramblings its just something i've noticed recently. Anyone want to humour me and add their take on it. Its not a slight on SJ's and Sammies or towards those running them just an observation.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jimny5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2011 05:43 #15408 by jimny5
Replied by jimny5 on topic Re: Jimny popularity in the UK.
I started off with a basic sj about 6 years ago and now its sitting waiting to be fixed,
Its got full cage'32 ancondas, lockers,winches.
And i got my jimny 2 years ago with 4in lift and crawler box and 33 kumhos,
I can see what your saying, and agree but to me the jimnys axles are weak
Coz they seem to destroy bearings and panel dent in like tin foil but it is more comfy
And the flex on suspension is somtimes unbeiveable.
The old sj has the name the cheap parts,and the abilty to susprise a stuck landrover man in
Something you just bought for 300 quid, comfy it aint, rust is just part of its charm and you know you can fix it up wid a hammer, no reading fault codes or thinking about getting interior dirty coz it has non,
Dont think jimny is there yet but in 2-3 years it will be more than sjs at events.
Mike.

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2011 16:10 #15485 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Jimny popularity in the UK.
If you read any of the official reviews it is never really rated - slow, crude, rough ride, blah blalh cheap ( except for genuine parts :D) and it is effectively just a 2 seater unless you have little kids or know a load of dwarfs which must limit the market. The only time it comes into its own is when you need a low cost 4 x 4. and anyone needing regular 4 x4 will probably buy something bigger!
Starting to see more jimnys at off road events including a few tray backs which were probably made from cars that have had a prang or too in normal life, the SJ achieved cult status through its off road capabilities, hopefully this web site is helping to do the same for the Jimny!
atnb
Mike

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2011 16:35 #15488 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Jimny popularity in the UK.
I missed my SJ, once the Jimny was on the road i began to feel guilty for scrapping the 410. I felt that the Jimny wasn't meeting my expectations and I relished the raw simplicity that came with an SJ. the fact that it broke quite dramaticly didnt help with my opinion either

then I remember why i scrapped it in the first place, it was beyond repair rust wise and to get it where I wanted it would have cost me over 15k.

I bought the Jimny and I've now essentialy got a coiled SJ. now that I am finaly getting the drive the jimny i am begining to see its capabilities and I think that is where the problem lies. people have no experiance to call on with the jimny.

it has already been said that the sj/sammy vehicles are legendary, well prooven and people will find it hard to convert to the newer jimny.

there is already a greater uptake of the jimny and with companies like KAP and off road armoury offering challenge capable vehicles for less than £5000 i expect the next few years their popularity will take off.

as for their tidy interiors, you're right I don't want to get it dirty. But when I got my SJ it had carpets and i didnt want to get it dirty either and well the places that car ended up i think it would have been cleaner outside the car sometimes.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds