BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyre size?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 08:06 #12245 by Smoggy
Tyre size? was created by Smoggy
Ive read on the site that the biggest tyre sizes that can be fitted to a standard jimny is 215/75/15, with a 2'' lift: 235/75/15 and 3'' lift: 265/75/15 (allbeit with some trimming of the arches in certain cases).

I am confused - I always thought that the first figure mentioned ie 215, 235, 265 etc. was the figure which refers to the tyre width. Then the second figure 75 was the aspect ratio which determines the tyre height and thus the rolling diameter. Finally the last figure quoted being for the wheel diameter, which of course again affects the rolling diameter.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 08:53 #12246 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Tyre size?
Yes but the profile is also a percentage of the width.

So a 235/75 will have a higher profile than a 215/75.

Allround daily driving and odd play day i think 215/75 are ideal.. you can run them at standard height and still look good once lifted especially with some spacers or wider lower offset steels.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 09:19 #12249 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Tyre size?
Gaz with your 3'' lift are you thinking about upping your tyre wheel/sizes you mentioned at tong getting wheels with more offset, will they be 16'' do you think. With bigger tyres dya think theres much risk of snapping drive shafts?

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 10:10 #12250 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Tyre size?
Ok

from what you have said in your first post you are a little confused on tyre sizes and what you can get under a jimny with what size lift's

205's=no lift
215's=no lift
225's=2" lift
235's= 3" lift with trimming
30x9.5'=3" lift with rims with no offset so they can fit under the gurads.
Any thing bigger will need a body lift or a bigger spring lift and some gurad chopping and the off-set/backspace on rims you have they will stick out past your gurads and they are more likey to rub.

Also you should really correct the gearing when you go over 215's and i wouldn't worry about snaping stuff unless you have 31's(or bigger) and lockers.

As for the rims i would go for 15x7's and then deiced what off-\set you want after you pick you tyre size and lift.

I have 235's on 15x7's with a neg13 offset and they just fit under the gurads at full flex and rub alot on the front bumper until i trimmed it.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 11:06 #12252 by Smoggy
Cheers for that Monkey I now understand a bit more with help from you and Gaz.

However, now that you've raised the question of offset I had to wiki that too (my never ending quest for knowledge). I see that by increasing the degree of offset you can essentially move the centreline of the wheel inwards or outwards, have you chosen a slight negative offset in order to give more clearance for the inner wings. Does anyone know the width and offset of standard jimny steel wheels?

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 11:24 #12253 by Monkey
I have gone with the negative off-set(wheels out wards) to give my self a wider track with, i have negative13mm of set so now my track with is wider so it's more stable off road.

Standard jimny wheels are 15x5 with a 0 off-set.

Having a negative off-set dose not help clear the wings it dose the opposite, because you wheel is swings out wider if that sense.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 11:30 #12254 by Smoggy
more confused now monkey - just typed into a calculator on the net - increase wheel size from 5'' to 7'' wide and offset to negative 15 and it seems to suggest increasing the negative offset increases the wheel to strut clearances so i would have thought the opposite would be true.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 11:49 - 27 Feb 2011 11:50 #12255 by Monkey

When considering new wheels, offset can make or break a decision. Using a rim with less offset can cause the tire/rim to rub the outer fender and using a rim with more offset can cause the tire/rim to rub the inner fender or even suspension components. As an example, consider the image to the left.

In the example, the factory rim utilizes a +45mm offset (the hub is +45mm from the center of the wheel) and the rim is centered within the wheel well.

Should new rims with a +30mm offset be utilized (the hub is +30mm from the center of the wheel), the edge of the rim is shifted further outbound by 15mm and closer to the fender lip. In some situations, this could cause the tire to rub the fender lip and in extreme cases can cause damage to the tire or fender itself.When utilizing a lowered suspension, there may be a greater chance of this issue.

That should help for more info go here.

www.nicoclub.com/archives/wheel-tech.html

That should explain it pretty well.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2011 11:50 by Monkey.

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 12:13 #12257 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Tyre size?
Don't qoute me on this as it's just what I was told when I bought the Jim.

Mine has the Rhino Rays bigger offset steel wheels fitted with 205/75R15 Recip Trail MT's. No wheel spacers are fitted.
So has more ngative offset, so the tyres should stick out from the hubs more.
Yes, mine do. The tyres are just and I mean just, proud of the bodywork. If I had 215's on, they would need arch extensions on to keep the fuzz happy.
See, not very good, pictures of mine.

Attachment B3s0quBmkKGrHqZioEqsNQuHNBMnNLC490w_31_2011-02-27.jpg not found

Attachment B3s0ufwEWkKGrHqNi8EsHINiT8BMnNLM6Osg_31.jpg not found

K :)
Attachments:

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 12:24 #12258 by Monkey

monkey wrote:

As you can see my neg13 offset wheels stick out with 235's by about 15mm from the side wall to the edge of the guard but it is legally because the main tread dose not go past the guard.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 15:20 #12262 by Smoggy
thanks monkey that site is very helpful - saved it to my favourites!

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2011 17:39 #12279 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Tyre size?
lol just remember the lower the number the more they stick out of the arch, go too high and you can foul the inner wings etc.

Im not sure if i will change my setup until i have a rocklobster, i need some help in the gearing department if i go bigger i think.

if a cheap set of 16's came along though id go for them but maybe have 2 sets of wheels until i was happy with on/offroad performance of the new ones.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds