BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

235/85-16 on Stock Suspension, No Body Lift & All Original Panels

More
21 Apr 2022 04:42 #243026 by X8GGY
Looks great   

I also thought they’d be more bolt-on than all that, but the bracing is definitely necessary…

On my buggy I’ve fitted castor correction bushes on the front (as I had one set of SuperPro hushes left in stock when Bits4Vits closed down) but set the offset holes FORWARD instead of up and down for castor correction, that’s pushed the front axle forwards a little to help clear the larger tyres… just a thought 

For visual aesthetics the rear axle definitely needs to go back a bit 

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2022 07:11 #243027 by Rabid Rhino
X8GGY... thanks for that.
Gotta find a set of skinny 35s for 16" rims.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.

More
21 Apr 2022 07:15 #243028 by Rabid Rhino

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2022 10:15 #243034 by X8GGY
Managed to find old photos…

Bushes set to push axle forward a bit a rather than twisting it for camber correction… as said before it was the only kit I had left in stock and it had castor correcting bushes in it, so figured I might as well use them to get a little bit more room…
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Apr 2022 16:31 #243037 by Riccy
Portals are a very impressive thing, but something I have always wondered about the service life and strength of.

Dont get me wrong, I am very impressed with the build and your work, but they don't half look complex things. I hate to be the one that says it, but have you considered your recovery strategy if it goes wrong here? The torque forces on the axle tubes will be amazing.

I make and run the adapter plates for the floating rear conversion advertised on this fine forum so have some knowledge of the issues with adapting the factory design. I find the rear axle tube ends are about strong enough to take the adapter plates using the standard 8mm bolts. I appreciate the additional bracing you have but would want a bit more myself. I would want something horizontally as well, but I do tend to over-engineer stuff ;-)

anyhoo, very impressive and keep up the updates please! We all want videos of testing it if you can thank you very much indeed in advance! :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
22 Apr 2022 00:25 - 22 Apr 2022 01:03 #243045 by Rabid Rhino
X8GGY
I looked at the bushes and think they're a last option to squeeze that final 5mm out of the suspension.
Right now I've got 1-2" of clearance so I should be good for skinny 35" ATs with rounded tread shoulders.

Lambert.
Seen your FFRAs & I will be ordering a set (I'll pay extra if you can source me stub axles & hubs) for my other Jimny when this one is all buttoned up.

This is my dream car that I've wanted since they came out in 1998 so I ain't gonna be wheeling it hard. This is just for soft roading, trails and down the beach.
I have other Suzukis for the rough stuff. I have a pair of steering Tibus KillerAxles (I'm trying to get put under an old Suzuki project) & its the return business that got me the "killer" deal when I bought these.
The Tibus guys are a clever pair & have been doing this for years so I have faith in their work.
I haven't seen anyone slating their work and I've found/messaged a couple of landrover & jeep guys from the Tibus group & they seem genuinely happy with their long term portals. Hopefully I'll be the same.

Last edit: 22 Apr 2022 01:03 by Rabid Rhino.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2022 04:28 #243046 by Lambert
I think you have me confused with Lambert's engineering on eBay. We are not the same.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Apr 2022 06:15 #243047 by X8GGY

I think you have me confused with Lambert's engineering on eBay. We are not the same.
No he’s confused you with Riccy above… FFRA = Fully Floating Rear Axle conversion

Rabid Rhino : no worries on the castor correction bushes thought, as I said it was just the last set I had in stock hence setting them up that way…
I’m sure you’ve been around as long as me? Aren’t / weren’t you one of the group that used to build monster Vitaras? Leigh Catherick & Co. ?

Dave 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2022 06:32 #243048 by Lambert
Ah okay, yeah still not me though. Hahaha.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Apr 2022 07:35 #243049 by mlines
Dave,

Rabid Rhino = Rhinoriders

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Apr 2022 08:29 #243050 by X8GGY

Dave,

Rabid Rhino = Rhinoriders

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk
No way!   I used to be an honorary member back in the day… I used to drive from the top of North Wales down to Woodlands in Kent for a days play and frequent “Dave the bacon butty lady’s” van LOL   Here’s the old girl coming out of the side of “wipeout hill”  … why do it the hard way, when there’s an even harder way just to show off…

Dave K9RDJ / Superzuki

More
22 Apr 2022 19:57 #243071 by Dirtbird
nice work man.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds