BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo M16A Jimny

More
12 Feb 2022 19:20 - 12 Feb 2022 20:52 #241826 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
It does look like a turbo should be in there, hopefully this small fast spooling turbo will liven up it up. Definitely not the most sensible idea I have had!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2022 20:52 by Motleycrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2022 21:23 #241828 by Martin416
Replied by Martin416 on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
Wheres the fun in being sensible!

SJ416 spi, 33s, Cage, Rocklobster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motleycrew

More
13 Feb 2022 12:12 #241838 by Motleycrew
can anyone help me out? trying to establish what type of idle control valve the Jimny uses. is it a stepper motor inside? 
cheers

More
13 Feb 2022 16:50 #241840 by Motleycrew
So I believe the idle control valve is a stepper motor which means I will have to upgrade to the next model in the Links ECU line up called “storm” I bought the the ECU in September but luckily the company I bought it from (Brands hatch performance) does a exchange plus 15% within 6 months but may get it cheaper as it’s unused. Absolute fail 

More
13 Feb 2022 17:01 #241841 by Motleycrew
This was the auxillary output page where I realised my mistake. The next ECU has that capability
Attachments:

More
14 Feb 2022 14:30 #241847 by Motleycrew
Contacted Brands hatch performance and they are happy to upgrade the ECU but said they wouldn’t bother as the current ECU can manage the idle via some trickery. My job is to either step back the stepper motor or blank it off completely. There is a screw that can adjust the opening on the throttle plate but I will get the mappers to sort that out for me. Crisis avoided! £450 saved…
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
20 Feb 2022 12:43 #241936 by Motleycrew
Taken all the wires I need for the ECU. It’s honestly quite straight forward so will save the cost of a auto electrician doing this time consuming, yet simple part.
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2022 13:00 #241937 by Motleycrew
All of the wires that are still in the connector are redundant. They are from Devices like the EGR, OBD-2, the two oxygen sensors, old map sensor (new ECU has its own on board sensor) 4x4 etc

More
26 Feb 2022 16:05 #242063 by Motleycrew
Put crimps on the ECU wires today, also fitted Bosch coolant sensor and boost controller plumbing. Wideband 02 controller is fitted. Wires are all now in the cockpit.  Need to do some splicing and then I will be ready to connect the battery up and start configuring the ECU settings.

More
28 Feb 2022 19:32 - 28 Feb 2022 19:34 #242092 by Motleycrew
So I need to put a additional relay in between the main relay as it is currently always live and doesn’t go through the ignition switch. This means the ECU would re-power up after the ignition was off as it stops it’s ability to block the grounds. The Jimny ECU has a permanent power source so I guess it can manage the grounds when the ignition is off. Went to check out the relays and where to splice the new one and found the old terminals just fell out from corrosion. The old denso relays are intact themselves but the connecting block pins are green and eroded. I have just ordered new Bosch ones to re-wire them (fuel pump and main relay) 
Last edit: 28 Feb 2022 19:34 by Motleycrew.

More
28 Feb 2022 19:55 #242095 by Motleycrew
after figuring out the Jimny ECU power wire is always live I had to look for a power source that goes through the ignition switch. Best I could find was the 4x4 controller. I can either tap it in the cabin or in the engine bay. 
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Mar 2022 05:12 #242101 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo M16A Jimny
I'm sure you know this already but Jimny are negative switching. It's possible to use relays to reverse this as people do it for spotlight installation etc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motleycrew

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds