BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Tread Lightly

More
23 Jan 2021 08:51 #232103 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tread Lightly
The 1600 has proven reliable over the past few weeks and continues to impress....

70mph is at 4000rpm in 5th, the engine is strong and eager to push through all gears. It would appear that I have dropped on to a gearing compromise that suits the car and my driving style very well.

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jan 2021 09:53 #232107 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tread Lightly
Good to know. What is the 1.6 like on fuel though obviously with the rest of the modifications it will be hard to relate to a standard car, but compared to when it was a 1.3?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Jan 2021 14:53 #232114 by sniper
Fuel is similar to the 1300 but I am only doing short journeys at the minute....I think that in general, fuelling will be a touch better. There are far fewer gear changes, 4th pulls cleanly from 25mph and you can coast at 30mph in 5th gear.

This is mostly due to the exhaust manifold and system, they made a huge impact.... even on the 1300....The gearing has been a very lucky shot in the dark (I did take advice from Riccy) and has worked out really well....(thanks Riccy!!!)  Powerband matching road speed in all gears....

I'm importing a fabricated inlet plenum with a single Honda 65mm throttle body and that along with a DTA S80 standalone ecu will be fitted in coming months. Guessing at 120bhp now and these will hopefully make the 150bhp goal..... 

​​I haven't forgotten about the MX engine, I am trying to negotiate with the finance fhurer to allow a seperate build in a fresh chassis.....​​​​​

sniper
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2021 17:48 #232117 by Lambert
Ooh shiny!

More
15 Mar 2021 14:42 #233746 by sniper
Got some front arches sorted thanks to Keith Philips, not only did he make them but he also fitted them, thoroughly decent chap....

I managed to melt the paint with the heat gun, I'll get Jimny Dr to work his magic when it's next at his shop.....

Spacers on this afternoon and it should look and feel a little better, hated going back to standard track width when I went to 16's.

sniper
Attachments:

More
18 Mar 2021 10:00 #233835 by sniper
Got the spacers on and the wheels look right in the arches now and articulation at lock seems ok, no catching. Ready for the first run out......

Out with the Jimny jaunts group on May 23rd, a scenic run around North Wales. Not that I have trust issues.... but "scenic" from Brett could mean anything, so I have picked up some soft shackles, waffle boards and checked my straps.......

The engine is fine and gives plenty of power, cruising at 70 mph is comfortable enough, at 4000 rpm. The car accelerates eagerly from there, I drifted to 85mph on a downhill without noticing.

The exhaust is a bit droney when held at constant motorway speeds, nothing that Desmond Dekker and the Israelites cant sort....

sniper
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
07 Apr 2021 14:16 #234293 by sniper
Bump stops ordered....

Terrafirma Factory Racing 2.0 Bumpstop. Doing just the front for now...

sniper
Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2021 15:48 #234297 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tread Lightly
Nice   How you mounting them ?
Same way Riccy did 
Or welding the sleeve into mount 

More
07 Apr 2021 17:25 - 07 Apr 2021 18:49 #234301 by sniper
I'm mounting them through the springs and using the spring base plate on the axle as the bump pad, similar to the Fox stuff on the Dave Marsh Racing set up. I can't remember if Riccy has done the same Jack.... 

In my (limited) experience, there isn't much that a Jimny can't climb over, especially big tyre cars. I don't want to go above 30" tyres.... but I do want to go out with big tyre cars and follow them... That means I have to have a little more momentum when I hit the same obstacle, to get over it.....

So far, there has been only tell tale damage from big bumps but I think I could cause axle busting damage without them, in the future....

I have felt the limit straps a couple of times and have only off roaded lightly since fitting them. So I will be protected in both compression and extension now..... Time will tell if they are needed on the back, but I think higher off road speeds are the issue on the back.... I'm happy pottering for now.... Comp Safari may come calling though......  

sniper
Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 18:49 by sniper.

More
07 Apr 2021 18:07 #234302 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tread Lightly
I have managed to pull my front bumpstop straight with a loop and high lift jack
This got bent inwards and was touching the spring.i'm sure this is to do with bumpstop mount on axle,it's took that much hammer it's concaved in.
Now have 4.5" travel from bumpstop to mount.so may not hit it so hard now 
Norwood rtv will be testing day then.....then out comes the grinder to get new rubber under it 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Apr 2021 18:19 #234303 by Lambert
Have you trussed your axles too if you're expecting damage?

More
07 Apr 2021 18:46 - 07 Apr 2021 18:52 #234306 by sniper

Lambert wrote: Have you trussed your axles too if you're expecting damage?

It's on the list of maybe's....

sniper
Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 18:52 by sniper.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds