BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Re:The Rat Trap

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2019 18:11 #204637 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:The Rat Trap

yakuza wrote: What is with the Re:Re:Re:Re?
I'm 48, I don't understand. :)

Edit: Aha, seems I managed to remove them from the topic :)

Unstuck bolts could be a sign that there have been some servicing done to it..

Not a clue but it seems to have also vanished for me so thanks!

I thought that likely also. But as far as I can tell the car has been off the road for a few years? Either way lucky me :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2019 18:16 #204638 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:The Rat Trap
Other side sorted today along with a new CV.

Mucky nasty job right enough. And huge many gratitudes to the chap who made the guide for the wiki! Super simple to follow.

Found the brake sliders on this side also seized. Tempted to just leave as is and put it up for the mot once I've -fingers crossed- read repaired and reset the fault code and cause. I figure it may pass. Or I may sort them out think it's going to pass and then be gutted that it doesn't :P

It's just tempting to find out and know where it all stands with some certainty ...

• DinoF
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2019 15:17 #204748 by DinoF
Replied by DinoF on topic Re:The Rat Trap
Well done on your work so far. A really great read.
Cheers.
Dean.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2019 19:04 #204766 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic The Rat Trap

DinoF wrote: Well done on your work so far. A really great read.
Cheers.
Dean.

Thanks! Appreciate the comment :)

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2019 19:10 - 18 Mar 2019 19:10 #204767 by Keirravn
Managed to unseize my calliper pins. One unfortunately was so tight it required heat so the rubbers are buggered. Found cheap pins and rubbers on the eBay though so not the end of the world :)

Found a trick to unstick seized pins. Mole grips and hammers were doing nothing so I removed the outside pad reassembled the brakes and pumped buggery out the pedal. Bit of heat some extra encouragement with a hammer and presto! Free pins :D

Unfortunately my borrowed code reader got nothing from the diagnostic port so that's a bigger drama. I think I'll just get everything else sorted, put on insurance and fork out for an emissions test to ascertain if it's an 02 sensor, which I think is most likely.

So not long now till I take it on it's maiden voyage. I think anyway :)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2019 19:10 by Keirravn.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2019 19:13 #204768 by Keirravn
Oh in addition. Whilst replacing the passenger side CV and kingpins I discovered a little play in the hub. Wheel bearing. An extra wee cost on the budget there cheers jimny gods!

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2019 19:25 - 26 Mar 2019 19:28 #205107 by Keirravn
Some more progress

Replaced all the piston slides and rubbers and everything is nice and smooth now :)

Replaced the front bearing. I couldn't get the nut off at home and didn't fancy the £40 or so quid for the tool so took the whole hub assembly off and up to my friendly garage where the swapped over the bearing for me. Kicked myself many times for not getting it done whilst I was doing the kingpins.

That done I turned my attention to a nagging concern. There's a bit of white smoke and something dripping out the rear exhaust. I got in my head it may be the head gasket but checked tonight and there's 0 apparent coolant loss so I feel fairly safe.

Took the rear silencer off and poured a couple of cups of orangey liquid out. Left the motor running for a while with the silencer off but there's still some dripping. I caught some in a tub and tasted it and I'm 99 percent sure it's just water with no coolant. The cars been off the road a long time so perhaps it's a lot of condensation or maybe it's been through a ford and not driven much after. Who knows. But there's no other indication of it being a head gasket so whatever. Once it's actually on the road I think it'll clear.

Did notice a section of my rear *cross member has a nice hole in it. It's hidden above the exhaust. Couldn't be bothered getting the welder out so I'll leave it for now and come back to it. Can't see it being an MOT issue especially as it seems to be completely hidden.

Other than painting it and locking the auto hubs I think I've done all I can at home. It's needing rear brake pipes which I don't fancy tackling. So, I'll insure it, book an emissions test to see if the lambda looks dodgy, and move it up to my friendly garage.

Only question is whether to paint it first or not. I've changed the colour on the V5 but don't want to spend more than I have to before knowing what the MOT check throws up ....

*The bit behind the rear bumper. Whatever that's called
Last edit: 26 Mar 2019 19:28 by Keirravn.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2019 22:30 #205176 by Keirravn
Another quick job before i pass it to the garage. Converted my auto hubs to locked (cheers kirkynut for the guide).

Had a wee go at splitting the casings but couldn't get an edge in. Found my garden hose is a tight fit in the hole at the back though so popped that in. I'm likely to manual hubs at some point so I'm not too fussed about it being failproof, though I think it'll last a very long time anyway.

Did find the little black o rings/seals pushed the cog up slightly out of mesh so opted to leave them out. It all seems fairly firmly in place anyway.

More
28 Mar 2019 00:08 #205180 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic The Rat Trap
You're welcome!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2019 17:24 - 28 Mar 2019 22:51 #205205 by Keirravn
Another job ticked off actually. Was worried about the driver's side front and rear seatbelts passing the mot due to rat damage. Managed to get 2 front belts cheap and found that it is possible, with some minor modification, to fit a front seatbelt in the rear! I had thought I'd need to remove the rear seats and belts for the MOT so pleased to just be able to tick it off now.

Decided to be brave and purchase the insurance also. Still have my worries that the MOT is going to throw some crazy stuff up or the emissions will be way out of whack and difficult to pinpoint without the codes being readable. So I'm gambling that it'll be sortable and I've saved money by not paying to have it moved to the garage. Fingers crossed! I'm taking it up on Tuesday so will know soon what else, if anything, is needed.
Last edit: 28 Mar 2019 22:51 by Keirravn.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2019 19:37 #205383 by Keirravn
Cheeky update -

Had a last ditch attempt at sorting the dead OBD2 port today. Long story short I succeeded! But I think I've killed my instrument cluster in the process.

I took the cluster out to recheck my connections. Managed to short something in the process. Lost all of the 'delayed' warning lights other than airbags (EML etc).

Found a popped fuse whilst trying to get them back and my OBD2 came back to life! Interestingly I had previously checked the fuses and not found an issue. Maybe a poor connection of some sort but whatever - replacing it brought the port back to life.

A scan with what I have shows no faults so I'm wondering if it was on due to the fuse. Cleared it anyway. Annoyingly though I now can't tell if the light would be off or not ....

For now I've made a magical secret emergency repair which may assist with the MOT assuming it passes emissions. Then I'll replace the cluster and hope all the lights come back no issue.

Fingers crossed - I'll know more tomorrow

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 06:35 #205393 by Keirravn
Reading between the lines it looks to me like pre 2003 cars are not required to have a functioning EML/MIL light for the MOT. Will confirm with the tester today but that would be handy!

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds