BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

More
09 Aug 2019 02:08 #211948 by zukebob
At 51 I would be tempted to say you're still a pup Dave. But I do understand the ill health.

The talent that you, Keithy and several others on this forum have in working with your hands has always made me envious. I for one will be sad when this build ends, knowing that I can't look forward to the next one.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
09 Aug 2019 16:55 #211957 by X8GGY

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
13 Aug 2019 20:57 - 13 Aug 2019 21:01 #212075 by X8GGY
So today I had a spare hour to begin looking at the front wheel bearings... I was supposed to be doing this Sunday, but ended up going out for a "few quiet pints" with an old mate on Saturday night... you can guess the rest! ;)

So I read the writeup on here - www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit..._bearing_replacement

And began following the suggested steps today...

I popped the oil seal out with a screwdriver, fought with the circlip to free the bearing, and then "two or three swift blows" turned into a damn good beating with a 2lb lump hammer and a bodylift aluminium block! I wasn't as 'lucky' as the original author and it took some considerable force to get the old bearings out...

BUT, out they dd come, without the expense of using a garage's labour or buying a press... :)

And the new bearings are bagged and in the freezer ready for the next step tomorrow - don't tell the wife!! ;) :lol:
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Aug 2019 21:01 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2019 04:09 #212078 by Lambert
Mrs. Dave, Mrs. Dave! He's putting bits of car in the freezer again! Mrs. Dave! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 Aug 2019 05:41 #212080 by X8GGY

Lambert wrote: Mrs. Dave, Mrs. Dave! He's putting bits of car in the freezer again! Mrs. Dave! :laugh:

:lol: HaHa, you're as mad as me... ;)

m off today so she won't see me abusing the pven ;)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2019 06:48 #212081 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's la(te)st buggy build...
Things people do to hide there new shiny parts :evil: :whistle: :woohoo:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
14 Aug 2019 14:43 #212088 by X8GGY
I think the wife might find them in the freezer though Dan' ;)

Carrying on following the BigJimny bearing guide - www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit..._bearing_replacement

My day off today, so the wife is in the Post Office, so it's probably safe to...

Oven bake a couple of Jimny front hubs! :lol:

Leave them to 'cook' whilst I got on with rebuilding the front brake calipers...

What a fiddly job! :evil:

Done! Meanwhile... the wife had popped home fr something and came out to the garage saying there was a funny smell in the house! Busted! :lol:

And with them 'cooked' for probably an hour whilst I was messing with the calipers, they simply fell into place! Incredible! BIG thanks to Martin for the tip!

Both in an allow to cool B) And have a cuppa in the meantime ;)

And then reassemble everyting! :)

NOOOoooo! I went to put the shafts back in and realised... the Jimny was too close to the wall! :(

:lol:

Managed to shift it over with the use of the Hi-Lift to shuffle it 9" to the left, and get the long shaft in :lol:

And then re-assembled the offside... and then decided to call it a day, not enough time to completely do the other-side so it'll wait for another day, happy with what I'd done today so time for a shower and walk the dogs being as it's stopped raining! (in August?! :( )

Note the fixed hub inside the wheel spacer, which was holding the disk in place ;)

More soon!.... B)
Attachments:

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Aug 2019 16:10 #212660 by X8GGY
Back to the buggy build today! Last Sunday we were out greenlaning, and Wednesday I was recovering from injections in BOTH eyeballs!... So I naturally gave myself the day off! LOL :lol:

So this morning I rebuilt the nearside hub, rebuilt all the steering, got the wheels back on and pushed the buggy back out of the garage and into the sunlight...

And then set about the alignment...

First I set the panhard rod so the front axle was correctly positioned in relation to the chassis...

And with the steering wheel setstraight, I set the front steering bar up and then used a long length of aluminium box section to firstly get the front wheels parallel to the back wheels, and then added a slight bit of toe-in...

I was chuffed that the strenghtened (sleeved original) steering bars cleared the diff! :)

And that by setting the castor correcton bushes to push the front axle a little forward, there seems bags of room between the 30" tyres and the engine firewall...

All new everything ;)

Happy with the rebuild I decided to add the steering damper.. a bit early, but it finished off the transmission, suspension and steering rebuilf B)

A good match for the back that was all rebuilt last year before I fell ill/// there's a lunchbox locker in the back and Trail Gear HD shafts (the fronts are stock).

I'm pleased with the ride height, it's "only" got about a a 1.5"~2" lift, new front springs on the rear, and new front springs on the front with black polyurethane spring spacers, rear shocks are Jimny Monroe Adventure with shock spacers, fronts are Monroe Adventure rear Grand Vitara shocks...

The tyres are 235/70R16 (29"*) Malatesta Kamels on Grand Vitara 16" alloys...

Next job is to start shaping the body into the buggy look I want, so I'll lock myself away in the garage for a few weeks... especially as our next planned 'laning trip is not until October! :kiss:
Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 Aug 2019 16:23 #212661 by Riccy
Looking great Dave! B)

What you got planned for the rest? Tube buggy?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
25 Aug 2019 16:40 #212663 by X8GGY
You need to see my inspirational board Riccy ;) -

A mixture of the two... bearing in mind it has to be suitable for the British weater and greenlaning - so t needs to be able to wade too ;)
Attachments:

More
25 Aug 2019 17:02 #212664 by Keithy

Daniel30 wrote: Things people do to hide there new shiny parts :evil: :whistle: :woohoo:

Do you mean like having all sorts of expensive bits delivered to your work so the wife never see's them? :)

Build a Warthog Dave....I was gutted when they cancelled that!

More
31 Aug 2019 07:31 #212899 by kirkynut
Why did you not remove the stone guards from behind the front discs Dave?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds