BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
25 Jul 2021 08:59 #236947 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
Amazing work once again Riccy! B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2021 15:04 - 26 Jul 2021 15:05 #237001 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Ulysses
Great work there Riccy ... Time to service my Transfer Box please, and maybe start a side-line on making Rock Lobsters 

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 26 Jul 2021 15:05 by maverick. Reason: typo

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jul 2021 17:59 #237008 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Ooh 6.4 gears and a torque converter that would make Temeraire unstoppable if a little slow. Stop giving me bad ideas!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Aug 2021 18:03 #237232 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Replaced the gearstick bobbins with some poly versions as the rubber ones had split again. These seem more suited in terms of stiffness and work well for a cheap thing. They are classic mini exhaust hangars and about £4ea on ebay.

And some more work on the idle speed control gadget:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2021 18:55 #237235 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
Riccy.

I am intrigued with your new bobbins. Are they two separate studs with welded on washers or a straight through section of all thread rod.

Cheers

Roger

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
01 Aug 2021 19:03 #237236 by Riccy
Im not sure Roger. I used the orange poly ones and got the rubbers ones as spares.

The poly ones look like a thread all the way through, though without cutting them apart I cant be sure. The washers are loose on these ones.

The rubber are a thread welded to the washer and then rubber bonded between the two sides.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
01 Aug 2021 21:26 #237242 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
Cheers Riccy,

My query was based on the difficulty of obtaining a decent bond between polyurethane and stainless steel.
They look the part but are not as flexible as genuine rubber ones.
Still, they look nice.

Roger

More
02 Aug 2021 15:19 #237262 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses

Replaced the gearstick bobbins with some poly versions as the rubber ones had split again. These seem more suited in terms of stiffness and work well for a cheap thing. They are classic mini exhaust hangars and about £4ea on ebay.

And some more work on the idle speed control gadget:

Riccy is the linear actuator the same idea as a hand throttle as in the old SERIES 2 Land Rovers and tractors. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
02 Aug 2021 17:05 #237264 by Riccy
Yes mate. I will wire it to a momentary up/down switch on the dash somewhere and it does exactly the same thing as the old skool hand throttle idea.

When not in use it extends fully and parks on the pin at the top to stop it accidentally getting in the way and rattling about. When it is in use its still possible to use the throttle pedal to bump over something without it getting in the way.

I mainly want it for crawling about with the 6.4 low gear set but it will also be handy to use when winching to keep the power up :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
02 Aug 2021 17:09 #237265 by Riccy

Cheers Riccy,

My query was based on the difficulty of obtaining a decent bond between polyurethane and stainless steel.
They look the part but are not as flexible as genuine rubber ones.
Still, they look nice.

Roger
Not my area im afraid. I wanted them stiffer, hence trying these out. Worth a punt at the price and im happy with the result. Their appearance is immaterial when they are stuck up under the car though 

Dave Jones (X8UGGY) might be worth asking about the poly/steel bonding though. I know he is knowledgeable about poly bushes and suchlike :-) 

The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
02 Aug 2021 23:03 #237269 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses

Yes mate. I will wire it to a momentary up/down switch on the dash somewhere and it does exactly the same thing as the old skool hand throttle idea.

When not in use it extends fully and parks on the pin at the top to stop it accidentally getting in the way and rattling about. When it is in use its still possible to use the throttle pedal to bump over something without it getting in the way.

I mainly want it for crawling about with the 6.4 low gear set but it will also be handy to use when winching to keep the power up :-)
Ok I get you now. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 Aug 2021 16:33 #237608 by Riccy
Good trip out with the guys on Sunday around some of the tighter lanes in north wales.

trust me there is a jimny in this pic somewhere...

Great scenery where we could see it for branches and overgrowth. Lots of fun had.

Then on the last lane of the day (penultimate lane - we dont do a last lane apparently) the front panhard bracket decided to come loose on the chassis end. Much messing about with ratchet straps got it to steer and capable of driving to Dave Jones's house which was conveniently nearby. A huge thanks to Dave for sorting us out with a welder and various bits to get it stuck back together, I owe you one mate ;-) 

A very careful drive home (180 miles) and back by midnight pretty much. Good job I had booked monday off 

I stripped off the old bracket and started making a new one today. Old one was pretty well gone

More to follow in Brett's blog soon 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds