BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
27 Mar 2021 16:30 #234071 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
A little progress today (or looks a little).

Started with scraping and cleaning back the cage, pickup bed and various bits. All liberally coated with the rust coverter solution and left to dry. Later on cleaned and brush painted with Buzzweld RCP this time. Second coat needed, but that will be tomorrow now. Ive cosen brush as it goes on much thicker than with the scultz gun method I used last time round, hopefully producing a better coverage. Happily the textured finish of the remaining raptor paint shows though pretty well.

A little progress today (or looks a little).

Started with scraping and cleaning back the cage, pickup bed and various bits. All liberally coated with the rust coverter solution and left to dry. Later on cleaned and brush painted with Buzzweld RCP this time. Second coat needed, but that will be tomorrow now. Ive cosen brush as it goes on much thicker than with the scultz gun method I used last time round, hopefully producing a better coverage. Happily the textured finish of the remaining raptor paint shows though pretty well.

And something I have been keeping quiet about for a while. When I fitted the floating rear conversion I had a load of hassle with different brake caliper setups to get it right. I also had to grind a bit of the plate away to allow the ABS sensor to fit in properly. It had been annoying me that they we less than perfect, so I designed and had made my own version, specifically to suit the renault rear disc conversion nearly everyone has now.

They fit well and are made from Aluminium (steel possible also). Happy with them now :-) 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Mike G, zukebob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
03 Apr 2021 15:11 #234214 by Riccy
Black raptor today as the garage has finally dried out enough with the good weather to spray paint. Ive used 2 bottles of it to cover the tipper bed/tailgate, side checkerplate bits and cage. I was just going to brush the cage (and did with buzzweld black WAR), but since there was raptor mixed and left over I gave it a top coat with that as well. Looks good, but forgot to picture the cage of course 

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Apr 2021 16:18 #234215 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Looking well.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
10 Apr 2021 17:05 #234372 by Riccy
After scraping and sanding nearly all the paint off the lower quarter it was finally time for some red this afternoon. One bottle has covered 90% of it with a flash over coat and two coats on the bits I had done with etch primer. Annoying, but I have another of the red spare so will finish it off tomorrow morning. Had enough for one day 

Then its put it all back togther next weekend hopefully

Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2021 17:55 #234373 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Spot on finish Riccy, it looked the dogs doodaa's when first finished.... Something about your pick up makes it look big, more substantial, maybe the flareside style bed.... Always liked it.......  A bit too much really lol, especially if you ask the finance fhurer....

Look forward to seeing it in Wales....

sniper

More
10 Apr 2021 18:17 #234375 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
Did you go with raptor again pal
Or a different brand 
Looks good 
Mine needs a paint job 

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Apr 2021 15:50 #234546 by Riccy
The red raptor I had spare turned out to be off (had been in the garage for about 2 years). I ordered some more as well as another bottle of black and some more of the buzzweld RCP and WAR underbody stuff.

So yesterday I managed to finish off the red properly and remove masking. Pleased with it. I think its a deeper red than the first time, even though its supposed to be the same RAL colour.

Then attacked the front end behind the winch bumper with RCP and WAR topcoat. lovely thick stuff :-)  Bumper got a dosing of the rust convertor stuff to work its magic while doing the underbody bits.

While the winch was out and everything else getting smartened up I decided to do that too. Stripped it, etch primer and then a WAR aerosol 'signal red' this time (was a lucky dip aerosol from buzzweld). Its come up well too...

Then more black raptor on the bumper and bonnet plates to smarten everything up:

and I know I keep saying this... but its going back together next weekend hopefully   

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Apr 2021 15:59 #234547 by Riccy

jackonlyjack wrote: Did you go with raptor again pal
Or a different brand 
Looks good 
Mine needs a paint job 

Raptor mate, I have all the gear for it and am used to using it now. You can borrow the compressor setup if you want to try your hand at painting yours with raptor. Pretty cheap and easy to do. A 4 bottle kit should do the car if your not changing colours easy enough. £84 black or £107 any colour at buzzweld.co.uk for a 4 bottle kit...

The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Apr 2021 16:04 #234548 by Riccy

sniper wrote: Spot on finish Riccy, it looked the dogs doodaa's when first finished.... Something about your pick up makes it look big, more substantial, maybe the flareside style bed.... Always liked it.......  A bit too much really lol, especially if you ask the finance fhurer....

Look forward to seeing it in Wales....

sniper

Thanks mate, hopefully it will last this time    Lesson learnt about proper primer and suchlike now hopefully. 

I think it looks bigger because of the external cage which goes onto the bumper. Its not actually much wider.

Yours is nearly a full cage now and has the nice big, wide Keithy spec front arches, a fine choice 

More
19 Apr 2021 18:03 #234570 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
Thanks for the offer to borrow Pal 
Could you tell me the set up you're using i might go and buy one 
Thanks 

More
19 Apr 2021 21:13 #234576 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
Local Jimny owner is doing his orange as we speak -

Attachments:

More
20 Apr 2021 07:27 #234588 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Ulysses
on the first picture, why have you got a flat cat on the bonnet?

Jalapeño, IISY?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds