BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
29 Apr 2020 21:19 #221660 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Ulysses
I love the sound it makes.
130hp at the wheels is a very good achievement in my opinion, well done. Manufacturers don't deliberately make underpowered engines, so you normally have to fight hard for every extra BHP, even then it's very easy to end up with less.
Bet you can't wait to get it on the road.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2020 23:19 #221662 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses
Need the VVT hooking up.....were you @90% DC with both banks of injectors?

Is the figure of 130 ATW or corrected.....if at the wheels it's not bad at all for NA!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Apr 2020 05:52 #221668 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Regardless of the power it sounds mint! Very cool

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
30 Apr 2020 06:58 #221674 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Thanks, I do like the sound it makes. I did sneak a quick blast down the road and back, suffice to say I will wake the neighbors on an early start :ohmy: :whistle:

Keithy wrote: Need the VVT hooking up.....were you @90% DC with both banks of injectors?

Is the figure of 130 ATW or corrected.....if at the wheels it's not bad at all for NA!

90% duty cycle was just on one set (the original Jimny ones). The VVT is hooked up and it responds when you use the laptop to test it (can hear solenoid clicking). The S60 ECU only has so many outputs, annoyingly it wont do 2 sets of injectors as well as vvt at the same time, the next model up (S80) is needed for that. It is an option to go to the next one up still.

I need to ask Johnny if its a corrected figure or not, I remember a correction factor of 0.23, but dont know if thats applied or not. If it is then she's not making what i'd hoped for by a fair way, in which case the questions about why start. Its still a massive improvement on what it was doing though :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
30 Apr 2020 07:15 #221676 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
It sounds amazing Riccy, it will be a giggle to follow it. Blipping the throttle at the lights when your sat next to Mr Clio and his drain pipe exhaust..... Ace...

Power numbers are spot in too, when I suggested running a book on the result, I guessed at 165 bhp which will be somewhere near at the flywheel.

Near enough max torque at only 3700 is very good too, the crawler gears will be unstoppable.....

Fantastic build all round....

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Apr 2020 09:48 #221682 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Nice ;)

More
30 Apr 2020 15:16 #221698 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses
90% just seems way out of line for the amount of fuel it can drink.....I think I only got to 58% with 25 psi of boost @ 10:1 afr......pulse width could be out....just a thought.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
06 May 2020 15:41 #221957 by Riccy
Few hours fiddling this afternoon to try and get the airbox and snorkel linked. I had ordered some silicone pipe adapters and a bit of 100mm alloy tube.

I cut the airbox back considerably and used a bit of the 100mm silicone tube to go over it, then a bit of alloy tube to sleeve the silicone and reshape back to round again. The 100mm flexi pipe came with the airbox and is the right length to attach to the modified airbox and bend around to where the snorkel is:

The end of it in my hand has the pipercross cone filter inside another bit of alloy tubing and is joined to a bit of 45 degree bend silicone tube that is 100mm at one end and 70mm at the other (very convenient find).

Next was to cut a much bigger hole in the inner wing and chop off the old snorkel drop tube.

Test fit and it links up pretty well. I can shut the bonnet properly too (although the airbox is still rubbing the underside a wee bit). I need to trim a bit off the front slam-panel and radiator bracket, but not bad. Its back off now so I could put a coat of buzzweld around the new hole in the inner wing. Sounded pretty good on the snorkel head too :laugh:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
08 May 2020 12:52 #222011 by Riccy
Got the snorkel connected finally. Had to trim a bit more off the airbox and also a small section out of the bonnet...

Then off into the local town for a few bits at the shop and a quick blast on the back roads home. It was running a bit odd at first, but has settled down a bit after running for a while, so possibly the ecu has adapted a little to the reduced air coming in now. I can unplug the tube where it comes into the flexi tube and run it like that if I want (for power), using the filter inside the tube, put it back onto the snorkel for water activities.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
08 May 2020 13:02 #222012 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Loving that, sounds ace..... the over run is spot on. Doesn't "fit" with the car at all, that makes it super cool B) B) B)

It looks like it drives well too.

Chuffed to bits for you mate, lots of work and money to get there...

sniper

More
08 May 2020 15:55 #222019 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Ulysses
Sounds great, if you heard that coming you certainly would expect to see a Jimny come round the corner, good work B)

More
08 May 2020 16:00 #222020 by jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds