BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
10 Jun 2018 19:11 #193357 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Ulysses
I would consider getting in touch with a company on ebay called
tube-bender
Sorry but I'm with Keithy those fittings will not do your build justice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2018 19:41 #193358 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Ulysses

Riccy wrote: Also decided on the rear tray. Its going to be made from this stuff, which is intended to be used for handrails. all kinds of fittings avaliable for it to make whatever shape you want and attach boards:

I really hope you're not serious about using these joints for a tray.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jun 2018 04:20 #193360 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Don't listen to the naysayers. Aesthetically there's nothing wrong with the key clamps so long as you accept that even wellded they'll have the structural integrity of a parliamentary politician. So long as whatever frame you make is out of lightweight tube that will deform on impact rather than becoming a harpoon aimed at your spine then it's up to you to be happy with how it looks.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Jun 2018 05:36 #193363 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

Lambert wrote: Don't listen to the naysayers. Aesthetically there's nothing wrong with the key clamps so long as you accept that even wellded they'll have the structural integrity of a parliamentary politician. So long as whatever frame you make is out of lightweight tube that will deform on impact rather than becoming a harpoon aimed at your spine then it's up to you to be happy with how it looks.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, maybe it not the best or strongest stuff to use.

There was a few thoughts behind using this to make a very basic tray (literally just a tray with a floor and no sides). Mainly it is to get the MOT passed as i dont think MOT man will like a bare chassis at the back. Theres Lamberts comment above about deforming on a rear shunt rather than spearing the driver (good point there). Price and ease are another factor. I dont mind the look of them and find handrails from this stuff are usually pretty strong.

The other thing i looked at was a small camping trailer. I could take the body off and mount to the chassis. again sod all real strength but a cheap and quick thing to do. The biggest problem there is finding one thats the right size. The tray will be an odd size - approx 1400 wide by 1000 long

It will probably end up with me trying to find someone local that has a large tube bender. The rear tray ideally wants to form part of an external roll cage eventually.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2018 09:11 #193368 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
I think you've done such a good job of the cab Riccy if you rush the back it will spoil it.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Jun 2018 16:56 #193773 by Riccy
Got the back end closed up now. Internal skin to make and fit, then a bit more rust patching to do. coming along ok. Its nice and strong. plenty of room behind the seats as well :-)

and finally got 5 of the grand vit wheels, all with mixed and poor tyres. will do for the MOT and will get them refurb'd and new rubber eventually. probably 235/85r16, but that means gearing changes as well!

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jun 2018 05:47 #193776 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Good progress there. Keep up to it and it's soon going to be finished!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Jul 2018 16:26 #194541 by Riccy
More welding again, this time the rear is braced up inside with a second skin all round and made a start on the drivers footwell and body mount below...

More to do there as its a bit worse than the passenger side. Rear on driver side to do as well, then finally the sills. I will be glad to see the back of the welder for a while!

Next was onto making a start with the body filler...

Quite a bit more needed to get it smooth :laugh:

Even found some time to bung in the 2" trailmaster lift kit from J999MNY, though im having trouble with getting brake lines off to fit extended hoses :-(

And finally, started messing about with the trim plastics inside to see what will fit...

The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
23 Jul 2018 12:23 #194564 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Ulysses
I'm having same problem with my braided brake lines to fit new ones ...

I suppose I might just take it over to local garage over the rad to get them to remove them, fit new braided hoses and bleed brakes...

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
23 Jul 2018 13:11 #194569 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses

maverick wrote: I'm having same problem with my braided brake lines to fit new ones ...

I suppose I might just take it over to local garage over the rad to get them to remove them, fit new braided hoses and bleed brakes...

i hate to ask this - on the basis you were at mine yesterday - have you got a proper brake spanner?

i could post one to you? ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
28 Aug 2018 17:36 #195500 by Riccy
Not updated for a while as theres not been much progress. Been busy with laning and laning planning, as well as the usual work.

There has been some progress however, and its good.

A little more body filler (but still a lot more to do):

also been trying on black paint on the wheels to see if i like it.

Finally finished the welding on the sills and underbody. Also had to plate a bit of the chassis here and there (mostly body mounts and panhard)

And had to chop the ends off the chassis and replaced with slightly longer steel of the same size (but thicker wall). Even managed to get them straight, inline and level somehow :laugh:

Also had a flat in J999MNY and some new hubs

New front prop also on order as thats rattling its last (hence not much progress on Ulysses!)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
28 Aug 2018 17:41 #195502 by Riccy
BTW... J999MNY's new hubs are AVM 457HP ones. a bargain at £144 incl VAT & del from KS international if anyones after some ;-)

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds