BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Furo's Jimny Build

More
22 May 2020 13:23 #222666 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Furo's Jimny Build
Are you using correct coaxial cable and a spliter box for radio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
22 May 2020 13:45 #222668 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Furo's Jimny Build
Thanks Jack! Yes I'm using a similar splitter and I bought that exact coaxial cable. A coaxial cable runs from the radio to the splitter, then another coaxial cable runs from the splitter up to the radio mount on the roof (which has a built-in ground). I had hoped to attached the antenna directly to the original radio mount but it didn't fit, so I got another coaxial cable and joined the radio mount to a homemade antenna mount (just some washers and a M6 bolt that the antenna threads onto). So the whole length is coaxial cable apart from the join in the original radio mount.

So far I haven't been able to properly check it with anyone else who has a CB, but one thing that concerns me is there is absolutely no difference in my FM radio quality if I screw the antenna on vs leaving it as just the bolt! I don't know what that means.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
22 May 2020 13:47 #222669 by furo

furo wrote:

In this image you can see the bolt in the radio mount, to which I have attached a further length of coaxial cable. The cable runs to a bolt in the roof rack that I screw the antenna onto.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
22 May 2020 13:56 - 22 May 2020 14:03 #222670 by jackonlyjack
Sounds to me like you have made a direct short
between the centre core to the braid by going onto a bolt
they need to be separated by this kind of connector
www.thunderpole.co.uk/rf-plugs-connector...rg223-h155-type.html

this is the mount i use
www.thunderpole.co.uk/fixed-body-mounts/...stick-mount-kit.html
Last edit: 22 May 2020 14:03 by jackonlyjack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
23 May 2020 11:54 #222734 by furo
Thanks Jack. I was careful to fold back the braid and used heat-shrink over it, so I don't think it has shorted with the centre core.

If the whole thing is disconnected I only get static on my FM radio. If I connect the cable to the roof rack without an antenna I get reasonable signal. If I add the antenna the signal is unchanged. So is the whole roof rack acting as an aerial? Sorry if these are stupid questions. Do I need to make sure the antenna is isolated from the roofrack?

More
23 May 2020 13:20 #222739 by jackonlyjack
Should be connection from the braid to rack
No connection from centre core

More
23 May 2020 17:58 #222755 by furo
Ah right, I didn't realise that, thanks! I'll have to think about how to do that.

More
25 May 2020 14:59 - 25 May 2020 15:24 #222812 by furo
Thanks for the CB advice so far. My radio wasn't set to the UK, so I changed that, and I put in a rubber grommet to separate the antenna from the roof rack. I haven't worked out a way to neatly connect the braid to the rack yet.

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 May 2020 15:24 by furo.

More
04 Nov 2021 10:04 #239855 by furo
Unfortunately my Jimny failed it's MOT on extensive chassis corrosion and I couldn't justify the cost to have it all welded, so I had to sell it. I'm pretty gutted, but I'll get some sort of project vehicle again in the future.

I've made a highlight video of my ownership of the Jimny, just showing the modifications and some adventures. 

Thanks for all the great advice over the years, this website has been a brilliant resource. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Nov 2021 13:19 #239859 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Furo's Jimny Build
Sorry for your loss!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Nov 2021 13:27 #239860 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Furo's Jimny Build
It was a sad day for you !

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds