BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Turbo Jimny

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2017 17:33 #176266 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Turbo Jimny
Hope things are not too bad after all that hard work you have put in. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2017 20:27 #176279 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Turbo Jimny
It's back up and running Alan :-)

I'd already ordered the engine as an upgrade so no biggie.....although the timing was poor :D

So after stripping the engine it appears that the piston gave out......possibly because the pistons are quite literally worn out and rocking.

Been noticing some misty smoke behind me at night for a while.....all bearings were as good as new.....no det marks on the head or pistons (which is my curiosity telling me to strip and see) so basically I'm going with a rocking piston rocking just right and getting torn out around the small end in a downwards motion..

I'll post a link to the video once I get it edited.....and some pictures.
Strange it went at low speed......glad I wasn't into triple figures....

After looking inside I'll source a VVT engine and sort some new rods and pistons and build a new engine as a spare.

The 1.6 is a little livelier for sure!!

More
05 Jan 2017 22:25 - 05 Jan 2017 22:26 #176289 by Keithy
Video evidence....

Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 22:26 by Keithy.

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2017 22:54 #176290 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Turbo Jimny
Nasty.

to be fair, not nearly as dramatic as the last engine dyno failure I was witness to.

all will be well in the end i'm sure.
Paul

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2017 07:17 #176294 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Turbo Jimny
Looking forward to a vid of you driving it with the 1.6 in it B)

I reckon you blew it up on purpose so you could put the 1.6 in it :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

Takes me a week just to change my wiper blades :silly: :silly:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jan 2017 07:20 #176295 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Turbo Jimny
At least it didn't pop on the way home from Flamborough!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jan 2017 14:18 #176307 by Keithy

11/60 wrote: At least it didn't pop on the way home from Flamborough!

Indeed!

Covered 50 miles with the 1.6 now.

First impressions as follows.

Driving steady and even uphill...no boost needed...

Setting off at junctions is.....mental! way too much power on boost....ok for drifting?

Using way less fuel than the 1.3 according to the afr.

A patient approach needed with the turbo output as it gets to the gear change pretty quick and my left hand is struggling at the moment, but I'd say all things considered I could have quite happily put the M16 in and been happy.

More
06 Jan 2017 14:21 #176308 by Keithy

Daniel30 wrote: Looking forward to a vid of you driving it with the 1.6 in it B)

I reckon you blew it up on purpose so you could put the 1.6 in it :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

Takes me a week just to change my wiper blades :silly: :silly:

Mine is the only car in the household that doesn't need new blades :D

Strangely when my mates heard about the blow up 4 offered to lend me their motors until I fixed mine....maybe they want theirs blowing up or they know I'm steady away with other peoples motors....or they're just mad?

• Paul_sterling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2017 15:10 #176311 by Paul_sterling
Replied by Paul_sterling on topic Turbo Jimny
Nice one Keith, I take it the M16A was a straight fit in place of the G13BB? i.e. no changes to bellhousing?
Paul.

More
06 Jan 2017 15:43 #176313 by Keithy

Paul_sterling wrote: Nice one Keith, I take it the M16A was a straight fit in place of the G13BB? i.e. no changes to bellhousing?
Paul.

Hi Paul, it had an M13A in....some very minor things to swap over....possibly the easiest cross car swap I've ever done!

Cam cover and water pipes mostly....and cleaning the threads on previously unused engine mounting bolt holes.

The Suzuki M series is very tidy inside...incredibly light.....conrods aren't up to much though :D

More
06 Jan 2017 17:15 #176322 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Turbo Jimny
It's great to have you as a guinea pig Keithy. And I'm impressed with how quickly you get things done.

I've now parted with my 1.6 Jimny so I'm back in a 1.3 which is OK, but a bit painful with all the towing I do. Obviously this leaves me pondering how to get more power again. I couldn't really fault the M16a, other than being a bit flat at higher revs. They don't encourage you to pull right to the limiter like the 1.3 does, although I put that down to the standard exhaust and manifold being quite restrictive. A turbo setup sounds great but for me reliability is a real concern, especially heat management as I spend a lot of time going very slow under quite high load, typically on the hottest days of the year. I didn't expect anything to fail as catastrophically as you've had though.

I've still got half an eye out for a scrap MX5 to salvage the engine and gearbox. It would tick both power and reliability boxes, the weight penalty is small and being RWD it should be an easy fit in a Jimny. If 140hp isn't enough, they take a turbo very nicely too....

More
06 Jan 2017 19:57 #176330 by Keithy
MX5 sounds a good option! plenty of off the shelf bits for it,,,,140 has to be enough....must be....maybe a tad more eh?

M16A has 11.1:1 comp...not tried high boost yet....Gary has another engine so probably I'll try it tomorrow :D

Been looking at Wiseco pistons and different cams for the M16.....I'll drop it in during conversation I need to spend 4K on the Jimny.......if I don't post back tomorrow............

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds