BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Upgrading axles

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2015 17:38 #143025 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Upgrading axles

kirkynut wrote:

TomDK wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I think there's a few advantages to Samurai axles.

You can get uprated internals for both axles a great deal easier and they are proven parts.

The front axle swivel seal is actually a seal and not an excuse for one!

Front wheel bearings don't require a press to change.

In fact if I could but a Sammy today with a carb that worked at all angles, proper inertia rear seat belts and a hard top with no rust, I would in a heart beat.

It would get lifted on Llama 4x4 Potty Lift Springs under the axle with a Rocklobster and the axles would be all singing and dancing with discs all round and an X Brake hand brake, super strong shafts and cv's.

Kirkynut

I did consider Samurai axles once, because as you say. Uprated internals are proven and cheaper than for the Jimny. But once you've gotten hands on a set of axles and cut and welded new brackets to fit the Jimny, and bought HD internals, the total cost is more than a set of RCV/ RS MFG HD shafts and CVs will be for the Jimny. And the RCV ones are a straight swap.

And why are the HD shafts and CVs for the Samurai easier to get than for the Jimny? You still need to import either from the US or from Italy.

As for the bearings. You do not need a press to change the bearings on a Jimny.

On top of it all, you need 5 cm wheel spacers for the Sammy axles as it's 5 cm's narrower than the Jimny axles.

So that's 25mm each side then Tom? No great issue. You can get wheels with a different offset of spacers or both.

Wheel bearings are easier to change even if you use your oven.

Sammy bits are cheaper as the manufacturers have probably made their R&D back after all these years so are not charging for it any more and the tooling has been about to manufacture them for much longer. New products need their tooling and R&D paying for if a profit is to be made on them.

The welding is an issue if you don't have someone you can trust to do a good safe job of attaching the brackets in the right place so they don't fall off and so they are equal with the right castor angles etc. I am lucky as I have a good friend who is a good fabricator.

To be honest though. I would not spend any more money on my Jimny other than maintenance as A) My interest has been waning for some time and B) My needs would be for a bigger vehicle if I were to spend money on an offroader / greenlaner now.

Kirkynut

I know it's easier with a press, just saying changing bearings isn't that much of a job without one :)

If like you, you have a friend or yourself are good with a welder, and can get hands on a set of Sammy axles cheap. Then sure it's worth considering :)
To my knowledge Trail-Gear shafts and CVs are not of same quality as back when RCV made their stuff, but they still provide a lifetime warranty, same as RCV does :)

But to make it short.
Yes, Sammy axles are definitely of some interest. Just up to each one to decide if the work needed to make them fit is worth it :)

And you're right, it's only 25mm spacers :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimny J
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2015 18:06 #143034 by Jimny J
Replied by Jimny J on topic Upgrading axles
Upgraded internals for your Jimny's axles would be the simplest as far as work and effort required to finish the job, but any axle conversion is going to be a pain in the arse. SJ's are one of the simplest as the tubes are a similar size and the diff is on the correct side of the vehicle, as well as being a near identicle ratio. Other axles from bigger vehicles require a lot more work to fit, and can cause all sorts of issues along the way, such as diffs being to far offset and causing problems re attaching the axle tabs and spring seats.

One thing to consider, look out for a modded sj being broke, lots out there! One, if not a fair few may already have uprated internals as well as the required spacers. Also, SJ axles wouldnt require a new set of wheel rims.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2015 18:31 #143041 by TomDK

Jimny J wrote: Upgraded internals for your Jimny's axles would be the simplest as far as work and effort required to finish the job, but any axle conversion is going to be a pain in the arse. SJ's are one of the simplest as the tubes are a similar size and the diff is on the correct side of the vehicle, as well as being a near identicle ratio. Other axles from bigger vehicles require a lot more work to fit, and can cause all sorts of issues along the way, such as diffs being to far offset and causing problems re attaching the axle tabs and spring seats.

One thing to consider, look out for a modded sj being broke, lots out there! One, if not a fair few may already have uprated internals as well as the required spacers. Also, SJ axles wouldnt require a new set of wheel rims.

Just remember to get Samurai axles. Not regular SJ410/413 ones.

• ilten
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2015 18:30 #143635 by ilten
Replied by ilten on topic Upgrading axles
So, any news from RCV? I couldn't even find Jimnys mentioned on their site. I hope they're still working on it...

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2015 20:24 #143639 by TomDK
As far as I know they should arrive in Denmark without a few weeks. I let you all know once I know more :)

• mkay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2015 20:10 #154208 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Upgrading axles
Did they arrive TomDK?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2015 20:45 #154214 by TomDK

mkay wrote: Did they arrive TomDK?

Yeah sure. Fitted mine some months ago :)
installed as easily as standard shafts and CVs :)

• mkay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2015 16:46 #154262 by mkay
Replied by mkay on topic Upgrading axles
And how much did they run you?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2015 17:41 #154269 by TomDK

mkay wrote: And how much did they run you?

I paid around £680 for them. 22 splines, 5 years warranty against breakage. Plug and play :)

But now that Trail Gear uprated shafts and CVs are available from Jimnybits from around £400 I'd probably get those, if they still retain the 1 year warranty from Trail Gear. I now this requires 26 splines sidegears in the diff.

So really no reason any more to get those from Rob Storr. They're more expensive than TG, no warranty, requires spacers and side gears.

• ZukracerV6
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2015 17:55 #157795 by ZukracerV6
Replied by ZukracerV6 on topic Upgrading axles
I have just bought a set of the trail gear shafts from JimnyBits in preparation for my new axle build. Once I start the build I will start a new thread.

Any one running these shafts yet?

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds