BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2016 20:58 #163170 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
looks good! look forwards to the next blog. I've not finished fixing all the bits I broke last time. Didn't realise till the next day I'd completely lost the CB antenna, too busy looking at the bits below the tyres didn't think about the low hanging branches!
The topic has been locked.
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Feb 2016 22:20 #163182 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Great stuff dave,be good to see how the jimnys cope on barsteward lane B)
More
01 Mar 2016 11:48 - 01 Mar 2016 11:54 #163195 by kirkynut

S200KYS wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Is your new transfer box quiet with all new gears rather than the mixture of a normal Rocklobster Dave?

Kirkynut

Yup, that's the other thing I forgot to mention... silently purrs along now, rather than sounding like a rally car! LOL :woohoo:

The first thing I forgot to mention (in this build thread, I did mention it in the blog), that my case was split and disassembled to get the two-wheel-drive-low ready selectors out of it...

Dave B)

Well that's a big deal to Rocklobster owners! It is the main reason I wouldn't want to use mine as a daily! You can put quieter tyres on, like Kumho KL71's or BFG Muds but you can't turn down those gears! Are your Maxxis tyres quiet for muds?

I bet it's not far removed from driving a standard Jimny, bearing in mind the gear reduction and now the silent transfer box!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 01 Mar 2016 11:54 by kirkynut.
More
01 Mar 2016 12:37 #163196 by X8GGY
Ahhh... mine is now my "daily" ;)

I got rid of the Red NGV 2 weeks ago... I walk to and from work ( <20 yards! ) six days a week, and on the Sunday I either work on or go out 'laning in the Jimny, so the NGV was costing me to sit outside my house, so it got sold...

So we now have the wife's 4x4 Mokka, and the two daughters Citreon C1 and Ford KA sat around that I can also use... as well as the Jimny, which as you say is now very driveable... I've got a pair of leatherette "bucket" seats to go in on Sunday, and can still swap my big fully supporting waterproof bucket seat in once a month for our greenlaning adventures...

Yes, very quiet, Maxxis Trepadors run quiet too... gearing is great, I was keeping up with traffic on the motorways coming home... And I could even hear Nickleback playing through iTunes on the iPad on the way back... LOL :woohoo:

My regular passenger Alan and I will even be able to have a nice conversation without shouting over the whining of the rally box! :lol:
More
01 Mar 2016 16:15 #163203 by kirkynut
Well if money gets tight with our new arrival (our son was born on 21/01/16), I could now look at selling ze BMW and using the Jimny daily and put a little of the money from ze BMW to get a silent rocklobster and sell mine on.

Cheers Dave for that!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
More
01 Mar 2016 19:30 #163229 by X8GGY
Bought a Riv-Nut gun the other day (as that Zanfi bonnet net still needs fitting) and then figured it would be ideal for filling in the holes in the doors when the plastic panels were removed after the larger tyres and then the Land Rover Defender arches went on...

Hmmm, and then got carried away as the line of bolts across the door crease looked a bit out of place (although not as bad as the holes that were letting water in on river crossings!), so i remembered I had two 5m lengths of aluminium box section behind the garage/extension...

Doesn't look too bad? Even more like a Defender! :woohoo:

I have no way of welding aluminium, so I carefully cut the box section with a slitting disk in the angle grinder (getting brave again now!) and then bent a tab over, then the top, and then drilled and screwed with self tappers...

Still got to do the other side yet though, maybe tomorrow... see how much tinkering time I get! :whistle:
Attachments:
More
02 Mar 2016 18:10 - 02 Mar 2016 18:13 #163259 by X8GGY
Did the other door today, in the garage as it was pis... err, persisting it down...

Then almost completed the bonnet net that Zanfi sent me as a gift when my panhard bracket and drop pitman arm didn't quite fit (on a right-hand drive Jimny)...

Just got to finish off the threading of the bungee cord and neatly get the knot somewhere that can't be seen (much)
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 18:13 by X8GGY.
  • Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2016 22:34 #163268 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Love it Dave.
More
08 Mar 2016 14:51 #163498 by X8GGY
Just went out of the shop to fetch some bags of coal in and the Jimny smiled at me...

So I took a photo of him! B)

Side protectors and bonnet net finished!

Already for a days 'Laning on Sunday :)
Attachments:
  • zukiara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2016 15:17 #163499 by zukiara
Replied by zukiara on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Its great when they smile at you. B)
More
08 Mar 2016 15:41 #163500 by X8GGY

zukiara wrote: Its great when they smile at you. B)

Yup, always grin when I pass him/her/it... This one's never been christened (yet?)

Hmmm, why do iPhone photies always appear upsidown or on their side?
More
13 Mar 2016 16:38 - 13 Mar 2016 16:41 #163689 by X8GGY
Whoops! :(

Early bath for me today...

I just about got onto the "B@st&rd Lane"... just got to the bottom of this...

And then... BANG! Rear halfshaft snapped... more later when I write the blog...
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2016 16:41 by X8GGY.
Time to create page: 0.295 seconds