BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My tray back

• Mister Stu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2014 22:28 #106090 by Mister Stu
Replied by Mister Stu on topic My tray back

Vytrix wrote: i used a basic hydraulic bender. basically a bottle jack with fittings. just make sure you keep checking your bend cos its a bastard when you over bend it, not like you can straighten it out.
the pipe wont kink as long as you get good thick pipe, i think mines 3.2mm with a 42mm-OD.

making a trayback is basically the same as restoring your car. when its apart it gives you chance to get at the main rust areas and chassis.
its like new when its all cleaned down. well except for a couple new dinks :)

+1 on that... 90% of my build has been sorting out rotten bodywork and i used a basic hydraulic bender with good results using 3mm wall 45mm ID tube

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gipcyan bill
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2014 22:31 #106092 by gipcyan bill
Replied by gipcyan bill on topic My tray back
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationBest thing is to use a proper bender, like this one.

Or similar. A centre press can be used for plumbing pipes, which are rather thick walled.
But for thin walled, CDS tube. You'll need something like the one in the link.[/quote]

you dont wanna do it like that!

you wanna do it like this.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
25 Feb 2014 22:35 #106095 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic My tray back

Vytrix wrote: i think the pipe had to be heat treated or something, not much difference in price, if you tell them what your doing when you buy it they should sell you the right stuff.

im sure it should be cold drawn steel CDS im yet to find out wall thickness and size I want mine to competition spec as I has be be the safest or I don't see the point

JIMNYLESS

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2014 22:36 #106097 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic My tray back
Thats the bender i have but price is a bit missleading you need to look at the dies to fit it they are big money think with a 1 1/2 and a 2 inch die i racked my bill up to well over a grand but then saying that it is a very very well made bit of kit

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2014 22:37 #106098 by Dave cc

idiotmobil wrote:

Vytrix wrote: i think the pipe had to be heat treated or something, not much difference in price, if you tell them what your doing when you buy it they should sell you the right stuff.

im sure it should be cold drawn steel CDS im yet to find out wall thickness and size I want mine to competition spec as I has be be the safest or I don't see the point

Just google MSA blue book roll cage regs all the information is there

More
25 Feb 2014 22:39 #106100 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic My tray back

Dave cc wrote: Thats the bender i have but price is a bit missleading you need to look at the dies to fit it they are big money think with a 1 1/2 and a 2 inch die i racked my bill up to well over a grand but then saying that it is a very very well made bit of kit

ill be looking to hire one found a couple places and yet to speak to a good friend on the matter im not that far along in my build and not getting much better as drove it today and it was shacking like a shitting dog at 40mph and the wheel bearings didn't sound healthy more maintenance before modding I think

JIMNYLESS

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2014 22:53 - 25 Feb 2014 22:55 #106106 by Dave cc

idiotmobil wrote:

Dave cc wrote: Thats the bender i have but price is a bit missleading you need to look at the dies to fit it they are big money think with a 1 1/2 and a 2 inch die i racked my bill up to well over a grand but then saying that it is a very very well made bit of kit

ill be looking to hire one found a couple places and yet to speak to a good friend on the matter im not that far along in my build and not getting much better as drove it today and it was shacking like a shitting dog at 40mph and the wheel bearings didn't sound healthy more maintenance before modding I think

shakeing like a shitting dog :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: far better than death wobble
Last edit: 25 Feb 2014 22:55 by Dave cc. Reason: cant spell

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds