BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

winches

More
07 Aug 2012 18:04 - 07 Aug 2012 18:09 #45659 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: winches
I bought one of these "Heavy Duty" 2000 Lb winches off flea bay and have found it's perfectly adequate on the front of the Jimny!!!

Need this one to extracate the Landrovers though!!

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 18:09 by Johnniehec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2012 20:02 #45748 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: winches
I have a 12000lbs winch its called the cta12000lbs and its a cheap winch costs around £150 new with steelcable on it and it can pull youmout of anything

I like it so far

• sully
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2012 06:27 #46248 by sully
Replied by sully on topic Re: winches
im planning on getting one soon. but where did you get yours from at that price if you dont mind me asking? I can only find them around the £250+ price.

• oxford_bloke
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2012 11:54 #46255 by oxford_bloke
Replied by oxford_bloke on topic Re: winches
sully,

having bought both expensive and cheap winches in the past i would say spend good money on one good winch have some clearence 8.5tds goldfish winches delivered for round 400. If you look around any 4x4 forums shops etc. you will be told that these are some of the best electric winches on the market. they are reliable, powerful and fast. plus spares are readily available for them two. there are many upgrades and tricks to do to make them faster two which with a jimny would be uber quick.

hope this help

• monmendoza
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2012 16:14 #46473 by monmendoza
Replied by monmendoza on topic Re: winches
I have used my rigs with winches many times and have seen
other vehicles got stuck or help unstuck others and in many
cases 8000 or 9500 lbs is more than fine. Most of the problems
actually is lack of battery juice or a small alternator, so
after about 5 minutes of winching your alternator light or
battery indicator lights up. Make sure that your alternator
is rated 80 amps minimum or you have bigger batteries.

More
24 Aug 2012 22:36 #46727 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re: winches
Wow i wasnt expecting this much activity with this question thanks everyone!! Dutch jimny where did you find that winch for that price?!? Cheapest i can find that for is £234 on an ebay shop

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 21:42 #46782 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: winches
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationjust to confuse you more:

More
10 Sep 2012 22:45 #47893 by Basketcase
i know what winch im going to get now but its going to have to be a cheap but big one, next question is where do i fit/how do i fit it to the front of my car? theres a few pics on here of big winches fitted nicely like on page 2 of this thread posted by johnniehec i like how thats fitted but i need to know how the hell i make it look so good! any help with that guys? cheers

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2012 22:59 - 10 Sep 2012 23:00 #47894 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches
Why a cheap big one? Why not a bit smaller one, and better quality?

Like a Goodwinch 8500 ?

I don't get it. People here tend to spend loads of money on suspension, body-lift, CB radios, external rollcages that protects the car more than the driver... and so on..

But when it comes to winches, it always have to be the cheapest ones available.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2012 23:00 by TomDK.

More
11 Sep 2012 10:33 #47915 by Basketcase
Needs to be a cheap one because a goodwinch is about £400 and the one i found is £200 13000lb id love to get a better named faster more reliable winch but just cant afford it and im not all goin mad with cages and stuff like that on mine if it gets damaged then ah well lol. However if you know where i can pick up a good winch for around £200 delivered then im all ears. Cheers

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 18:25 #47989 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: winches
Hi mate I had a 6000lbs superwinch fitted into my standard bumper. This was quite easy to do. I have some good pictures which explains how I did it pretty much.
I know it wasnt the most powerful winch but it pulled me and a few landys out of some sticky situations. Im going to get a new one for my new truck. I will be getting one with a plasma rope as they are lighter on the front end & it will be a 9500lbs.

Thanks
James

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2012 00:43 #48022 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: winches

Basketcase wrote: Needs to be a cheap one because a goodwinch is about £400 and the one i found is £200 13000lb id love to get a better named faster more reliable winch but just cant afford it and im not all goin mad with cages and stuff like that on mine if it gets damaged then ah well lol. However if you know where i can pick up a good winch for around £200 delivered then im all ears. Cheers

Don't know where to find a quality winch for @200 maximum. But why not consider saving up a bit more, and buy a 6000-8500 lbs winch instead?

Or perhaps a used winch?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds