BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

What size tyres?

More
04 Apr 2012 16:03 #36929 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re: What size tyres?
So should i see about getting a lobster box? Sorry to seem stupid but is this just like a different ratio gearbox or something completely different? And where do you find these rocklobster boxes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seawolfvarna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2012 16:53 #36934 by Seawolfvarna
Replied by Seawolfvarna on topic Re: What size tyres?

Basketcase wrote: So should i see about getting a lobster box? Sorry to seem stupid but is this just like a different ratio gearbox or something completely different? And where do you find these rocklobster boxes?

If you run your Jimny with 2" lift and 2" body lift you can run up to 225x75x15 on original rims ( that is max what you can fit), you should probably fit some flanges.
If you planning bigger tyres like 31" then you need 3" lift ( min) plus 2" body lift plus some trimming of arches and it will not go Offroad , you will need rock crawler or rock lobster at least.

More
04 Apr 2012 17:09 #36936 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: What size tyres?
www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/rocklobster.pdf

These can be expensive and don't do fuel consumption much good. But give great power and low gearing off road. I love mine but my jimny is only a toy and not a daily driver.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2012 17:34 - 04 Apr 2012 17:35 #36938 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: What size tyres?

Seawolfvarna wrote:

Basketcase wrote: So should i see about getting a lobster box? Sorry to seem stupid but is this just like a different ratio gearbox or something completely different? And where do you find these rocklobster boxes?

If you run your Jimny with 2" lift and 2" body lift you can run up to 225x75x15 on original rims ( that is max what you can fit), you should probably fit some flanges.
If you planning bigger tyres like 31" then you need 3" lift ( min) plus 2" body lift plus some trimming of arches and it will not go Offroad , you will need rock crawler or rock lobster at least.

Or the real deal. Buy a SJ413/410 transfer box and install Calmini gears. This also gives a much wider range of gear ratios to choose from.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 17:35 by TomDK.

More
04 Apr 2012 17:39 #36940 by Basketcase
Well i just had a 3" suspension lift delivered today but its at next doors and they not in at the mo so cant even look at it yet :( could i get a 225 15 with offroad capabilities on that ?

• Seawolfvarna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2012 18:02 #36943 by Seawolfvarna
Replied by Seawolfvarna on topic Re: What size tyres?

Basketcase wrote: Well i just had a 3" suspension lift delivered today but its at next doors and they not in at the mo so cant even look at it yet :( could i get a 225 15 with offroad capabilities on that ?

You can. Your original T-box will do the job without problem. You will run mostly on low gear for offroad

Cheers

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2012 18:37 #36946 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: What size tyres?

supergaz wrote: www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/rocklobster.pdf

These can be expensive and don't do fuel consumption much good. But give great power and low gearing off road. I love mine but my jimny is only a toy and not a daily driver.

I'm not sure what mpg you really get with a standard jimny, but with the rock lobster and 235/75/15's I'm getting between 32-35 on road.

But obviously I'm not dragging around a full cage and metal bumpers like supergaz is....

More
04 Apr 2012 18:56 #36949 by supergaz
I fitted the cage / bumpers and rocklobster at the same time so can't really tell what kills the mpg the most.
It was far more economical before all the mods.
I think that the special trac tyres are 80% to blame.

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2012 19:15 #36950 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: What size tyres?
Yeah my daily driver tyres are 50/50 a/t's so not too much drag, but I have another set of steel wheels with black diamonds on that I wouldn't want to use every day! :whistle:

• PanaJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2012 19:50 - 03 Nov 2012 19:52 #52130 by PanaJimny
Replied by PanaJimny on topic Re: What size tyres?
Not sure if this is feasible for you or not. Where I come from, it is such a pain get SJ410 & SJ413 transfer cases. I decided to purchase a re-furbished Samurai Transfer Case with 4.16:1 in www.lowrangeoffroad.com . Everything inside is new (gears, gastkets, bearings, seals etc). It cost USD $999 delivered to a Freight Forwarder Address and the Ocean Freight cost was for other USD $65. Probably you might want to take this in consideration for UK delivery, you may want to speak with a freight forwarder company were you are at.

As I don´t have welding knowledge nor experience and welding/iron workshop is too expensive here, I bought the transfer together with the Calmini skit plate mount (Other USD $200.00

My future plans for 2013 is to take welding courses :laugh: there is a lot to do why old and ugly Suzuki Samurai haha.

Please look a the below picture (the pretty one is the Samurai transfer) the ugly one is an old Jimny box... it has no aftermarket for gearing reduction.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2012 19:52 by PanaJimny.

More
03 Nov 2012 23:43 #52183 by Basketcase
Just thought I'd post an update really i now had delivered and fitted 235,75,15 malatesta Kobra i think they are they fit brilliantly i just took the inner wheel arch plastic off after cutting it and it still rubbing slightly trimmed bumper a tiny bit but can't really notice it green lanes great not got it stuck yet but thought it was going to be when I went down snape rake lane in garstang! Ill put a picture up when I get a chance to take one in the daylight!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PanaJimny

More
04 Nov 2012 08:22 #52195 by supergaz
Snape rake lane is a great lane, just wish it was longer. I take the dog as an excuse. Oh and you have a great site at Ince, Wigan to visit.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds