BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Outback adventure 3000 miles.

More
11 May 2024 21:41 #255925 by DrRobin
Brilliant, glad you had a good trip, but you should take the dogs with you next time, we do every time we both go away.
Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2024 00:19 #255927 by Bob9863
Unfortunately everywhere we were going was national Park, and they don't allow dogs in, even little ones like ours..
Just unloaded, now give it a very very good wash and clean, then I can relax and work on a bit of a story, atheist the wife took 1000 photos or more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filipao

More
13 May 2024 08:54 #255931 by Bob9863
Finally freed up the time to do a write up on the trip.
day 1, we left home early in the morning, and because everything between home and the desert is pretty boring we drove for around 14 hours to get through it all, and made camp that night in a roadside rest stop.
the only downside was when a cattle truck parked up on the road at 4am and we had cattle moving the truck and making noise until dawn.
But we made breakfast in the morning and got going again.

We drove on past Coober Pedy for 8 hours and made camp that night off the road in a large clearing.

Attachments:

More
13 May 2024 08:58 #255932 by Bob9863
The next day we arrived at uluru, got a camp site, had a shower and went to watch the sun set on the rock, the next day we walked around the rock, when and walked around the Olga's, then headed to kings canyon late that afternoon.

Attachments:

More
13 May 2024 09:03 - 13 May 2024 09:45 #255933 by Bob9863
The camp at kings canyon station that night was interesting to say the least, the dingos there are quite bold, come sun down they started howling, we started getting dinner ready and every time we turned our back they come darting out to steal food or rubbish.
they were that bad that they even stole my wife's thongs that morning and we had to chase one down to get one back.
then we headed out to the canyon and spent the day doing the big walk.

The dingos around the tent at night.youtube.com/shorts/ETus-wc7wcA?si=HLELWzS_KaRxJZcE
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2024 09:45 by Bob9863.

More
13 May 2024 09:07 #255934 by Bob9863
The next day we drove to Cobber Peady, got a room in an under ground hotel, and went to walk through some opal mines and went to watch the sun set over the broken country.
We then drove across the border the next day for one final camp, got up the next day and drove the last 8 hours home.

Attachments:

More
13 May 2024 09:20 #255936 by Bob9863
I will dig up a few more photos and add them later on, a few things about the car, around town I get 460km from 30lt, on the way up with a good tail wind we got 430km, but on the way back into the wind we got only 380km.
As mentioned if the weather turns really wet, or there's dew on the windscreen, the cameras that operate the adaptive cruise control has a hissy fit and 3 lights and a warning message shows up on the dash. The big problem is when that happens it also starts to break which is really annoying, so when conditions get bad you have to turn off the adaptive cruise control while stationary. It also happened while having a little fun on an empty dirt road while trying to see how much you could make it slide before the traction control kicked in.

But space wise it was surprisingly good despite way over packing, with all the road side rest stops with diners so we packet over twice as much food as needed, and way more cooking gear as well.
But lesson learned and I'm going to re pack with what we actually used to see how much space that frees up.
The ride was really comfortable, it just cruised on without problem, I found up hills to save it from reving up high I would just switch off the cruise control and drive it a bit more relaxed even if I was only doing 95kmh up a hill.
The adaptive cruise control was worth its weight in gold of an evening when the kangaroos were out in force, I'd just sit behind a truck and let it lead the way clearing the roof out of the way.

But it's let me identify changes that I want to make, and the gear we want to take away, but I will get into that in another post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42, Soeley, Motacilla

More
13 May 2024 19:12 - 13 May 2024 19:12 #255947 by Soeley
Nice pictures there, sounds like a good fun trip.
Last edit: 13 May 2024 19:12 by Soeley.

More
14 May 2024 00:44 #255950 by Bob9863
Here's a few more pictures from our trip.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
14 May 2024 00:49 #255951 by Bob9863

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, Filipao

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds