BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Trailer refresh.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Aug 2022 06:10 #244783 by Lambert
Trailer refresh. was created by Lambert
Under current regulations I am only able to build a trailer from scratch if I am prepared to submit it for IVA or SVA or whatever it's called this week. I am however at liberty to refresh a trailer. Does anyone have a link to where the line is drawn officially between a refresh and a build? As in is there a minimum amount or type of structure that has to be retained or is it like Trigger and his broom?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2022 06:25 #244784 by Abudougal
Replied by Abudougal on topic Trailer refresh.
I reckon any jobsworth having a poke about your trailer would have a very hard time proving that you built it from scratch and didnt "comprehensively repair" it.

More
31 Aug 2022 10:03 #244806 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Trailer refresh.
I searched for and found a trailer allready biult up back in the days when this was under less regulations. Dunno if this is so in UK as well, or if you can find such gems used or abused and cheap like I did. Took me a few months to find it, but when it appeared it was 5 minutes to drive to collect.
I used a trailer with the right measurements and weight for my project.
It still is home made as the registration says.
Dunno if this also applies in the UK but i do not think i could have done this to a type approved trailer from a large manufacturer as their construction is approved as is when new.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2022 11:30 #244809 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Trailer refresh.
As of writing we are not obligated to have a roadworthy test on a trailer nor have it separately registered. However the police and others can still do you for bald tyres, bodywork hanging off etc etc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Aug 2022 20:13 - 31 Aug 2022 20:19 #244815 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Trailer refresh.
If it's a repair or refurbish you are not changing its design in any way, so just keep the registration information plate or the steelwork with any serial numbers etc. Chop away and replace like for like in gauge and size.

It becomes a "build" as soon as you impact the original design. You sort of know what the lines are and when crossed. So add an extra wheel set, make it longer / shorter or swap that 2inch box section for something else.

Of course this is all academic., It's impossible to police and more useless legislation that's easy to get around or fake. As you said, simply make sure it's safe and the old bill will leave you alone.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Aug 2022 20:19 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds