BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Tesla Jimny made in UK

More
30 Apr 2020 15:05 #221697 by HUN
Tesla Jimny made in UK was created by HUN
Despite of this being on youtube for many months I've just discovered today. This guy must has too much knowledge, time and money to do things like others just dream about. Impressive I think.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot, Scimike, Dannyzook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2020 16:10 #221699 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
That's an interesting project. I quite fancy an electric Jimny for my work. I rarely do more than 20 miles, and a lot of it is stop start off-road in peaceful places. Shame it's only 50hp though. I need all of the Jimny's mighty 80hp for towing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dannyzook

More
30 Apr 2020 16:30 #221701 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
WOW. That guy has put so much work into that, I hope it works out well for him. Can't wait for part 4!

More
02 May 2020 00:31 #221770 by Rabid Rhino
Replied by Rabid Rhino on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
We have a contender for Keithy's "Mad Professor" title.
There are some Samurais out there.... but Suzuki.... Take note !!!

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.

• Dannyzook
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2020 12:28 #230250 by Dannyzook
Replied by Dannyzook on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
Wow thanks for the kind words guys, this is mine! Unfortunately life has been busy recently and i havnt had chance to work on it! Its close though! Got the brakes to sort and some cabling im not quite happy with.
Interestingly though it has alot more torque than standard and can set off in 5th gear so im not worried about its ability to tow, but my towing is mainly stuck cars on a muddy field.
Although as it sits infront of my garage i cant help think how much better it would be with a tesla motor inplace of the transfer case! Maybe one day!! Hoping to have it on the road by spring! Probably just after any snow we may or may not have clears hahah.

And yeah im deffo a mad professor! Hahaa.

Hope your all well!

More
21 Nov 2020 15:23 #230257 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
Nice one Dannyzook.
Love to see this type of work. Planning to do my 2CV in the future, timings just not correct for me at the moment.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Nov 2020 17:49 #230259 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
Well done Dannyzook, that is a fantastic project! I hope Suzuki are taking note, after 2030 new Jimnys will disappear for good in the UK if they don't pull their finger out.

• jonc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Nov 2020 19:13 #230262 by jonc
Replied by jonc on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
This is brilliant!

• Dannyzook
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2020 11:58 #230276 by Dannyzook
Scimike i cant see any reason why a 2cv wouldnt be easy to convert, not sure of the gearbox arrangement on them? Some use the engine to seal the oil in like the old mini? Again i dont know so cant comment, a nissan leaf motor and diff etc would work well tho onto custom hubs with the 2cv suspension etc.

Thanks Foxtrot, its been a long project i started it in 2018 and didnt think it would take this long but ive had other projects that have taken priority so its been slow, and yeah ive heard rumours of an electric jimny, it would make perfect sense, they arnt exactly built for a long commute and big miles and the ev torque would suit them really well, perfect city 4x4. Its one of the reasons im thinking of putting a tesla motor in it aswell as the tesla batteries thats already in it so if suzuki bring out an electric one mines still got an edge over it hahah. Its not been cheap!!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask im more than happy to answer!! If your on facebook and interested in custom electric conversions i have a group ‘diy electric vehicles UK’ as when i was sourcing parts i paid thousands in import and shipping etc, the group helps connect those local and i could have saved around 5 grand if id had the group when building. Lesson learned. Hahaha.

More
22 Nov 2020 15:13 #230279 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tesla Jimny made in UK
Hi Dannyzook,

Thanks for the Facebook reference, may have to get the evil on my phone.:blush: , avoided so far.
Yep 2CV should be easy, 4 bolts hold the engine /flywheel on the gearbox, so any electric motor that can bolt inline and away it goes. Plenty of space inside chassis for batteries, so no need to steal cabin space. So should only need 15 -20kw? To give similar performance (26hp) and keep the gearbox as it part of the driving experience. Want AC or Permanent magnet brushless motor, don't want brushed solution.

I'll join the Facebook group to keep this forum Jimny related, but keep the updates coming on the Jimny.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 Nov 2020 17:14 #230281 by Roger Fairclough
I have a problem with the use of a g/box. If you spin up the motor in first gear and then attempt to change into second, you take your foot off the throttle and depress the clutch but the motor is still running at high speed. Electric motors take time to slow down ( my grinder takes up to 2 minutes to stop ) so the use of a manual box is not going to work. If you want 2 wheel drive take the propshaft directly from the motor to the axle. If you want 4 wheel drive you can take the drive directly into the T/box.

Roger

• Dannyzook
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2021 17:20 #236670 by Dannyzook
Hi Roger,
Apologies about the nearly year long wait for a reply! This got busy and life etc. The motor is actually the other way round because it can regen brake, if you was to put your foot on the clutch the motor will stop in a second or two. You actually have to put in a regen cancel to allow you to change gear, in which case the motor freewheels and acts like a flywheel so changes gear alot easier than a petrol or diesel car that still gives resistance. The gearbox solution works very well with electric and is a very simple solution, its been used by many conversions lots clocking up 100k+ miles without problems so this should help solve any negative views you have on it.

The problem with going directly to the transfer case is motor rpm, third gear is usually ideal and alot of conversions have put it in third and simply taken away the gearstick (to lock in third) as this comes close to an ideal reduction gear, the diff alone isnt enough and ive looking into different gear ratios for the diff and transfer case non meeting the requirements. However i might be looking soon to put a large dc motor (direct drive, as it has a different rpm range to my current setup) or a tesla drive inplace of the transfer case with custom gears cut.

However back to your original point you dont actually need first then second. 2nd and 4th is usually all you need or as my motor is small and the terrain steep then 1st-3rd (5th on motorway) is ideal. But even though my motor is very small it will still set off in 5th just pulling high amps.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Dannyzook

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds