BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

That tools thread

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2019 12:06 #208795 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic That tools thread
In the most basic terms any of the obd2 readers will talk to it at least in part. They are dirt cheap and available everywhere. You can expect to see fault codes and a few simple parameters like rpm and temps and even some of the fuel parameters etc, everything that is obliged under the obd2 protocol. Once you start putting more money into one you can see more live data and also freeze frames to help you find intermittent issues you can also start to see things like abs and srs systems but you are going towards garage level equipment and associated costs and even thereafter there's some information that is proprietary to Suzuki and their factory systems.

I don't claim to have any significant understanding of this beyond plugging in and looking up a code on Google. There is others in here that are way more familiar than I am.

I have an autool x50 hard wired to mine and it is good. I also have a Draper expert wired reader for other cars. Neither were more than about 25 quid.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2019 12:19 #208798 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic That tools thread
I'm using this one www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0721DC46Y/ref=cm_sw...t_dp_U_J1O5CbKHEJZSN

seems to work well with the SZ Viewer A1 app written for suzuki vehicles. I've had a few email exchanges with the developer and he updated it last week
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me, johnjohanaphy

More
23 May 2019 20:13 #208833 by raLLe
Replied by raLLe on topic That tools thread
Plastic pry bars for interior pieces :)

My Instagram - wanderlust_jimny

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Sep 2019 16:37 #213289 by Lambert
Got a deal and a half today. Local car boot sale and mooching about I spotted a bench top drill press. Guy wanted 35z quid i walked away with it for 20. It's a late 90s era Nu Tool ch10 made in great Britain. Gets it home and lo and behold it only works, needs a new belt as the old one is really tired. Gave it a clean up and lube and good to go. Looking at Ebay and the same machine is 75 quid minimum, well happy.

More
12 Sep 2019 18:01 - 12 Sep 2019 18:03 #213436 by facade
Replied by facade on topic That tools thread
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI bought one of these

Seems good for the money

The bowden cable tool is a pair of remote jaws that you might be able to get a sneaky hoseclip with where there is no room for the pliers. No idea what the bent screwdriver is for though...

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 12 Sep 2019 18:03 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Sep 2019 18:08 #213437 by Lambert
Tools in blow moulded plastic boxes, how can I resist? Money I don't have spent on stuff I don't need!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2019 19:10 #213444 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic That tools thread
Looks like your trying to get information out of some one with that set of tools :laugh:

More
22 Feb 2022 23:39 - 23 Feb 2022 00:50 #241991 by Stainless
Replied by Stainless on topic That tools thread
My old metric tap and die set has had a lot of use over the years. Next is my old Helicoil thread insert set, for replacing stripped threads. My old easy-outs left hand threaded broken stud-bolt removers are very well used. Big problem with these is they are made of extremely hard steel, so if they shear off in the broken stud/bolt, spark erosion is the only practical way to remove them.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2022 00:50 by Stainless. Reason: Extra info

More
06 Mar 2022 19:36 - 06 Mar 2022 19:38 #242167 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic That tools thread
Thought I'd share a few useful tools I have acquired.
first is the "proper " tool for the gearbox , transfer box, diff so drain and level plugs .  17mm socket with square attachments . So can be impacted if needed to loosen ( carefully) and no rounded plugs ...

next is something I had made up . A drift to fit / remove kingpin bearings ..outer size is race size to seat ..inner taps it out . ( made for a motorcycle fork seal but diameter care the same. )   So no damage to bearing or socket set!
I have a spare should someone wish to copy .image.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Mar 2022 19:38 by Fossie. Reason: repated

More
09 Mar 2022 19:01 - 09 Mar 2022 19:02 #242208 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic That tools thread
On a similar vein... my kingpin race removal tool... especially bought suitably sized socket -

And my oil seal removal tool! 

First flick everytime ! 

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2022 19:02 by X8GGY.

More
13 Mar 2022 12:54 #242283 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic That tools thread
From experience gained with my LC, I realised that greasing the pins on the back door hinges is a good idea, so I checked on my Gen.4 and found that Suzuki had drilled but not tapped a suitable hole in the hinge, so I made an adaptor to pump in some grease.
You can just use a modified grease nipple placed into the jaw of a grease gun but it wobbles a bit and extra care is needed so I brazed the nipple into a 150mm long tube with a threaded adaptor at the other end. The nipple needs the threaded section machining to give a tapered section to locate into the hole in the hinge and this is best done on a lathe. I brazed it all together but soldering will probably work as the pressure is quite low.
Roger

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Mar 2023 14:14 - 04 Mar 2023 14:15 #247886 by Lambert
New addition to the tool collection of the kind that I should have had years ago, Japanese Industrial Standard or JIS screwdriver set. Mine are cheaper BGS brand nothing fancy but have made interior and trim work so much nicer by not having screws cam out. Revelation.

Last edit: 04 Mar 2023 14:15 by Lambert.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds