A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Foam insert next to radiator

More
08 Aug 2021 13:43 #237400 by JAGtheman
As part of my ongoing explore and bonding operation with my new Gen3 acquisition, I have found 2 very old, hardened and dodgey foam inserts on either side of the radiator, joining the radiator to the front section of the body.  One crumbled in my hand so now I just got 1 remaining.

Can someone tell me what these are for and whether I should replace both or get rid of the remaining one and forget I ever saw them?

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2021 14:50 #237405 by Lambert
They are there to direct air through the radiator. The efficacy is possibly debatable but I replaced them on my last one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2021 19:16 #237414 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Foam insert next to radiator
I got only one left I think. Maybe none. One Has been on the loose since I bought the car 5 years ago. Haven't had any cooling problems.

Norway -84 SJ410, 87 SJ413 lwb, 88 sammy trailer.
2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 Cooper Disco, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2021 20:49 #237422 by lightning
lt probably makes a difference of about 5%. lt won't matter except in extreme conditions where the cooling system is at its limit.

Such as maybe towing a loaded trailer flat out across the Simpson Desert in 50degC midday heat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2021 11:45 #237465 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Foam insert next to radiator
I should note that my car has never seen temperatures above 30degC.
We sometimes put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to achieve some in car heat in the sub-zero winter actually. so the opposite problem.
Only seldom during the warmth of summer, i can hear the electric fan starting.

Norway -84 SJ410, 87 SJ413 lwb, 88 sammy trailer.
2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 Cooper Disco, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla