A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
40mm spacers have led to problems, help appreciated
- Jamin
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
29 Aug 2020 15:30 #227495
by Jamin
40mm spacers have led to problems, help appreciated was created by Jamin
Hi all,
First post here. Loving my Jimny.
After reading some threads here (a lot of threads) I went ahead and ordered the 40mm Jimnybits spacers. The solid bolt on ones. Anyway, I feel the handling benefits. But the Jim has developed a small case of intermittent death wobble around the 60-80kmh range. It's not always present but it does come. And it didn't before. Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall the fronts, or just remove them full stop?
I'm driving the Jim from Belgium to the German Alps on TUESDAY so it's quite an urgent matter!
And yes, the spacers were installed and torqued properly in a star pattern etc.
Cheers all,
First post here. Loving my Jimny.
After reading some threads here (a lot of threads) I went ahead and ordered the 40mm Jimnybits spacers. The solid bolt on ones. Anyway, I feel the handling benefits. But the Jim has developed a small case of intermittent death wobble around the 60-80kmh range. It's not always present but it does come. And it didn't before. Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall the fronts, or just remove them full stop?
I'm driving the Jim from Belgium to the German Alps on TUESDAY so it's quite an urgent matter!
And yes, the spacers were installed and torqued properly in a star pattern etc.
Cheers all,
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jackonlyjack
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 3111
- Thank you received: 707
29 Aug 2020 15:40 #227497
by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 40mm spacers have led to problems, help appreciated
For now and your pending journey i would remove them
Spacers put extra load on bearings,80mm wider over the axle is quite a lot
Do you have any signs of oil on the swivel seals front axle
Welcome to the forum
Spacers put extra load on bearings,80mm wider over the axle is quite a lot
Do you have any signs of oil on the swivel seals front axle
Welcome to the forum
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Jamin
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
29 Aug 2020 16:31 #227503
by Jamin
Replied by Jamin on topic 40mm spacers have led to problems, help appreciated
I actually do think I'm going to take them off.
They look fantastic. The quality of the pieces is undeniable, but the way they feel doesn't sit right with me. I can feel the harshness translated directly through the hubs as opposed to the suspension. It's just not right. I can't understand that people recommend wheel spacers so often, which is why I bought them.
Now i wonder if Jimnybits offers any kind of return policy or if I'm just left with them now?
They look fantastic. The quality of the pieces is undeniable, but the way they feel doesn't sit right with me. I can feel the harshness translated directly through the hubs as opposed to the suspension. It's just not right. I can't understand that people recommend wheel spacers so often, which is why I bought them.
Now i wonder if Jimnybits offers any kind of return policy or if I'm just left with them now?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Roger Fairclough
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 1560
- Thank you received: 225
29 Aug 2020 16:43 #227504
by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic 40mm spacers have led to problems, help appreciated
40 mm would actually make them illegal in the UK as you would have tyre tread outside of the wheel trim. It's not a lot but it's there.
Jackonlyjack is right, you are putting far to much strain on the bearings and they wont last long.
Roger
Jackonlyjack is right, you are putting far to much strain on the bearings and they wont last long.
Roger
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.561 seconds
