× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Panhard fouling steering arm

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:05 - 06 Oct 2012 20:13 #49629 by Smoggy
Panhard fouling steering arm was created by Smoggy
Well I have finally got my Jimny onto 4 wheels :)

However I have a problem where my track rod attaches to my drop pitman arm, it fouls my panhard!

I wish I had listened to Paul 4x4 who said:

quote Bodylift doesn't affect steering geometry in any way, so there's no need for dropped pitman arm on just 3" suspension lift. People just seem to have some weird urge to bolt every aftermarket part onto their trucks without even knowing what they are meant for...

I bought my drop pitman for about £80ish and had considerable work (and problems) fitting it :( When really perhaps I should have saved my money and work and kept the original.

Now I am thinking about refitting a standard pitman to overcome my problem, but with the 33's on and 4.5'' spring and 2'' bodylifts the steering joint will be working at a ridiculous angle.

Any suggestions guys. Could I perhaps use a one off rose-jointed connection to the pitman instead of the standard track rod end.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Oct 2012 20:13 by Smoggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:18 #49632 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Panhard fouling steering arm
i have a 4.5" lift and i have a standared pitman arm what make panard rod are you using

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:21 #49634 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Panhard fouling steering arm
The adjustable one from the ORA 4.5'' lift kit. I dunno if you can see in the pics but the steering arm is a one of with HD oversleeving.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:24 #49635 by markyp2000
on your panard rod did you get the cone spacers things could you not shave some off so it sits towards the back and then space it at the front with washers

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:27 #49637 by Smoggy
Marky your an absolute revelation and that well and truly deserves a thankyou, it might just work :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:32 #49638 by markyp2000
glad to help it does help to have some one else to look/think of how to solve some thing let me on how it works BUT thinking about it make shore the panard rod still clears the diff casing if you have a guard fitted if you do shave some off the guard to lol

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:32 #49639 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Panhard fouling steering arm

Smoggy wrote: Marky your an absolute revelation and that well and truly deserves a thankyou, it might just work :)

I hope you can make it work that way with just some minor adjusting. :)

And you truck looks awesome btw, good job Smoggy! B)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:41 #49642 by Smoggy
Thanks mate I am pleased with the progress. Although it has probably taken me 5 times as long as it would you and Marky with my limited skills :laugh:

But it has been a good learning curve and I am glad I did it rather than buying a truck all done, even if it has cost me three times as much :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:44 #49643 by markyp2000
at least is done the way you want and you now every inch of it and if it breaks its your own fault lol and you now how to refix its and you never stop learning but would you do another build like this

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 20:54 #49647 by Smoggy
Yeah definitely I would. I am quite anal when it comes to detail :)

Before modding it I removed every bit of rust by grinding back to bare metal then using rust converter to make sure. Followed by 2 coats of epoxy mastic paint and a spray with dinitrol underbody wax with dinitrol cavity wax for the box sections etc.

If I am spending all this money I want it to last.

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2012 02:15 #49655 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Panhard fouling steering arm
looks like an incorrect pitman arm if it was the right one why would it be longer(as in further out from the steering box) then the original? that would be changing how the steering works IE turn the wheel further before lock.

whose pitman are is it?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2012 08:26 - 07 Oct 2012 08:38 #49658 by Smoggy
Its a Jimnybits drop pitman arm supposed to be for big lifts, its not longer Blakey its just got a bigger kink/drop than the standard one.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2012 08:38 by Smoggy.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds