BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

X-brake fitting.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 18:47 - 27 Aug 2012 19:26 #46911 by Smoggy
X-brake fitting. was created by Smoggy
Now got my new X brake from Si at X-eng and it really does look a great piece of kit. My question is when fitting my Xbrake to the rocklobster box is it advisable to do it with the box off the car or is it easy enough to do on the car?

Also when I removed the old T box the manual suggests making match marks on the shaft and box flanges for reassembly, why is this important cos I thought the props were all balanced anyway and if I am fitting a rocklobster is the rotation status of the props important?

Many Thanks.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 19:26 by Smoggy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 20:01 #46920 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic X-brake fitting.
Either or! Obviously, if the box is already out the truck doing anything is easier on a bench but it's not worth the hassle of removing it for the little you gain.

Don't know about the shafts - not something ive ever worried about. If you are pulling apart the expansion joint, mark the two halves so it goes back in the same orientation but I've never heard of it in relation to the flange.

Si

More
27 Aug 2012 21:33 - 27 Aug 2012 21:35 #46930 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic X-brake fitting.
Props are balanced with the splines lined up in one place and the UJ's are "in phase" so they can do their job proper like.

If you don;t put them back with the little dots on the props lined up they willbe out of balance as you have changed the poition of the balancing weight. It's a little similar to when they used to balance your car wheels on the car - it tookinto account the brake disc and hub too - so putting the wheel back on in a different place would change the balancing.

Simon, did you mention once upon a time that you might produce a different sized X Brake for the Jim Jam as it hangs down a little low on the Jim Jam compared with the SJ???

I might have imagined this but seem to hve itin my head for some reason.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 21:35 by kirkynut.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 21:47 #46933 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic X-brake fitting.
Sorry Kirky but I'm now even more confused. Where do I go then when I have fitted an SJ tbox and need to fit different props and even spacers to remake the diff/gearbox link up.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 22:46 #46936 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic X-brake fitting.
I've been experimenting with a much smaller X-Brake which has an 11cm disk but the same stopping power as the current Defender. It's intended for Jeep, Toyota And Suzuki of course where the clearance is much more limited than on a Land Rover.

It's still at the first prototype stage but initial findings are good. It uses a completely custom Caliper so will need more testing than with one off the shelf - thus I have no idea when it will see the light of day!

Si

More
27 Aug 2012 23:24 #46938 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic X-brake fitting.

Smoggy wrote: Sorry Kirky but I'm now even more confused. Where do I go then when I have fitted an SJ tbox and need to fit different props and even spacers to remake the diff/gearbox link up.

Read Martin's How To guide on fitting an SJ transfer box to a Jimny to see what props you need but nonetheless, they all have little dots punched into them to line up if you split them so that they go back together right to keep them balanced.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoggy

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2012 22:37 - 29 Aug 2012 05:27 #47006 by Smoggy
Sorry guys can someone give me an idiots step by step on exactly how to fit my xbrake (sorry Si im no great mechanic), I dont understand really how it stops the car and why does it go on the output to the rear wheels. Also on another issue how would I take apart my tbox to drill and tap it for a breather as the kit i have from Martin seems not to fit it (seems that pushfit fitting is too small to go over stub and supplied hose too big). If I decide on tapping in a breather is it a big job to split the case i.e. will I need to remove all the gearing with springs and washers popping out everywhere

Also now I am thinking with Si piloting a smaller disc version will the diameter of the disc on my xbrake foul my ORA tbox guard.

Sorry for all the questions.

Some picsof my setup:
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Aug 2012 05:27 by Smoggy.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2012 23:33 #47012 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic X-brake fitting.
on my tbox breather i got a bit of pipe that fitted over the stub and did the clip up very tight

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2012 10:57 #47035 by Smoggy
Yeah Marky just looked online at SJ tbox layout and it may be beyond me to take apart and modify.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2012 18:02 #47053 by Smoggy
Just looked on Martins 'how to build rocklobster' thread and got a little more idea, is it possible to split the centre from the rear without first removing the front section and if so will this just pull away the rear of the case and leave all of the internals in place on the centre/front sections?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2012 13:30 - 16 Sep 2012 13:46 #48189 by Smoggy
Still having problems fitting xbrake. I have removed the rear output drive flange and fitted my xbrake backplate to the box, but then faced with problem that because of the thickness and shape of the backplate my speedo correction bracket hole is now out of line with the toothed wheel which it reads. Also because of the shape of the backplate my correction bracket no longer bolts on in the same place without chopping or modifying it.

I will post some pics to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Also does somthing go onto the end of the plug in the last pic fir the speedo drive.
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 13:46 by Smoggy.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2012 14:10 #48192 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic X-brake fitting.
Just cut a speedo sensor bracket shaped piece off of that backplate, and weld the bracket in. Looks like an easy job to me... :)

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds