BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

checking diff oil

More
14 May 2012 14:00 #40246 by robs5230
checking diff oil was created by robs5230
i intend to check and top up or drain and refill the diff oil front and rear. i have had a look at the diffs and it looks like a square key is needed. is this a special tool ?
thanks

standard jimny - for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2012 14:18 #40249 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: checking diff oil
Hi mate just use a ratchet extention bar cant remember if its half inch or not.

More
14 May 2012 14:22 #40250 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: checking diff oil
3/8 ratchet.

More
14 May 2012 14:34 #40253 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: checking diff oil
thought it may be :) . cheers for all the advice , i'm like a kid with a new toy
rob

standard jimny - for now

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2012 14:40 #40255 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: checking diff oil
If they won't budge (and they probably won't) get a blow torch out and give them a good heating. I found it makes them much easier to undo B)

More
14 May 2012 18:04 #40275 by robs5230
gonna buy a blow torch :(

standard jimny - for now

More
14 May 2012 18:22 #40276 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: checking diff oil
Put the "key" in and give it a bit of a pull. If nothing happens warm the plug up as advised.

Suzuki use a special steel alloy called "plasticene" for bolt heads plugs and allen key heads, if you give it some welly cold the square hole will become round and you won't get it out.

If this happens you can get it out with a hammer and chisel, then we weld a hexagon onto the plug and use a spanner next time.

Here is my rear one:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
14 May 2012 18:25 #40277 by facade
Oh, undo the filler hole before you undo the drain hole and find the filler is seized in place :angry:

Clean the drain plug threads and put a smear of sealant on them to prevent nasty weeps of oil.

Hylomar/stag/heamatite will do, or even gasket-in-a-tube.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
14 May 2012 19:34 #40283 by robs5230
cheers i will be careful. i tried gingerly with a 3/8 extension bar but the square hole is showing rounded corners before from previous changes. gonna buy a drain plug key and warm it first before i try again

standard jimny - for now

More
14 May 2012 23:23 #40318 by facade
It should be a 10mm square. A 3/8 socket bar is 9.5mm, so is a rather loose fit.

Most of us just use the socket ratchet handle, doesn't cost anything.

You can get new filler plugs from Suzuki cheaply, and chisel the old ones around easy enough.

• newbiepaul
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2012 15:31 #40421 by newbiepaul
Replied by newbiepaul on topic Re: checking diff oil
well thought id better change my diff oil as id not done it since id had it ,front plug no hassle at all easy as you like ,rear ......... :angry: now thats a different story some kind person has decided to make a square hole round and chisel living hell out of it ,its seized solid ,need to get my heat gun on it and try to drift it out ,anyone got a spare plug kicking about lol

More
16 May 2012 16:26 #40424 by facade
They are not much from Suzuki.

Or you can weld a cut off bolt into the hole: just make sure it doesn't stick out too far or it will catch the panhard rod.

If you have a good mask and a garage, weld the bolt in with it on the car and it will undo dead easy with weld heat. (If you miss and weld it all to the diff you will be in trouble)

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds