BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

oil light flickering on

• miksyellowsj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2012 06:33 #39927 by miksyellowsj
oil light flickering on was created by miksyellowsj
my oil light comes on when its warmed up i let it tickover the revs drop under 1000 and the light comes on ive replaced the oil and oil filter and its made no differance, its fine when driving or i keep the revs up and somtimes cuts out when ticking over theres no engine management light coming on,
has anybody got a clue whats wrong with it??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zuki andy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2012 08:35 #39936 by zuki andy
Replied by zuki andy on topic Re: oil light flickering on
Its either got low oil pressure or a faulty oil pressure switch.

More
11 May 2012 08:54 #39941 by kirkynut

zuki andy wrote: Its either got low oil pressure or a faulty oil pressure switch.

What he said, either the pressure switch is on it's way out or it's connections could do with a clean or the oil pump has had it.

Either way you wanna get it sorted cos if it's the pump had it you might starve your engine of oil and then it could turn out to be new engine time!

Start by cleaning the contacts on the switch as it's quick, easy ant free. If no different try a new pressure switch, if still not solved fit a new pump, but don't mess around doing too much driving in the meantime till it's fixed!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• miksyellowsj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2012 10:16 #39948 by miksyellowsj
Replied by miksyellowsj on topic Re: oil light flickering on
wheres the oil switch and ill have a look?? and also the crank seal behind the pullys is leaking a little bit would that do it?
im not to bothered over killing the engine as its getting a diesel when that happens but in the mean time i still want to use it till then

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2012 13:50 #39969 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: oil light flickering on
Check or get the oil pressure checked first and then go from there, I'd use it as little as possible until then as you could cause engine damage or even engine failure if you actually do have low lube pressure.

Steve.

More
12 May 2012 12:30 #40049 by kirkynut

miksyellowsj wrote: wheres the oil switch and ill have a look?? and also the crank seal behind the pullys is leaking a little bit would that do it?
im not to bothered over killing the engine as its getting a diesel when that happens but in the mean time i still want to use it till then

I've no idea without looking at the car or a manual, probably low on the block with a single wire going to it on a spade connector.

The oil level is correctisn't it if it's leaking out the crank seal???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• miksyellowsj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2012 14:08 #40061 by miksyellowsj
yep oil level is fine its only dripping a little since kirton last weeknd found the switch and cleaned spade on it think im going to pull it out and fit my diesel instead of messing with it thanks guys

More
12 May 2012 16:50 #40076 by kirkynut
You could easily swap the switch over for a new one now you've found it. If it is that it's a cheap fix and quick so you don't have to do the diesel swap so soon if you've not planned for it yet.

Otherwise it's the pump or blocked oil galleries.

Kirkynut

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2012 20:42 #40099 by 247sniper
Either the oil pump or the pressure relive valve it sounds like.

Steve.

• miksyellowsj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2012 21:29 #40182 by miksyellowsj

247sniper wrote: Either the oil pump or the pressure relive valve it sounds like.

Steve.

where is the presure relive valve??

plans didnt go ahead this weeknd so its still got the engine in

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2012 21:33 #40184 by 247sniper
It's part of the oil pump mate. You will have to remove the oil pump to inspect it.

You might be able to investigate further by removing the sump pan.

Steve.

More
13 May 2012 23:44 - 13 May 2012 23:46 #40204 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: oil light flickering on
Can you not just change the oil pressure switch for a new one like they keep saying?

I must have had half a dozen fail since I've been driving, the diaphragm or whatever leaks, and oil gets both sides of it, so the switch needs more pressure to operate, and sometimes oil weeps out along the spade connector or around the rim of the plastic part.

Some cars will cut out if the light comes on to protect the engine, don't know if a jimny will.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 13 May 2012 23:46 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds