BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Mounting a Kap winch bumper

More
04 Mar 2012 22:00 - 04 Mar 2012 22:11 #34859 by Mud_Muppet
Hey up people, to cut a long story short, fitted my superwinch lp10000 in the week and went to give it a trial run today, and BOOM the winch ripped the front bumper clean off, now this kap bumper was supposed to be welded on ( by blue tack ), ive got a video somewhere ill post it soon,

Anyone got a photo of how they welded it on, and properly, lesson learned should have checked the welds really, was done by the previous owner :(

fbcdn-video-a.akamaihd.net/cfs-ak-ash4/4...a5896d6949ffdab6a273

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!
Last edit: 04 Mar 2012 22:11 by Mud_Muppet. Reason: Adding video

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 22:14 #34860 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Mounting a Kap winch bumper
Why not instead drill some 12mm holes and then bolt it on ?

More
04 Mar 2012 22:16 #34862 by Mud_Muppet
Would it be strong enought though, i know many like the ORA is weld on !

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 22:29 #34863 by TomDK
I'd say, that if you have a winch that can snap 4 12mm bolts. Then it's not mounted on a jimny :-)

As far as I know, ARB winch bumpers are bolted on.
I have just bought myself an ORA bumper. Have not seen it yet myself as I'm not home until start of may. But I actually believed that is was supposed a bolt-on. However, I'll bolt it on no matter what :-)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 22:42 #34866 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Mounting a Kap winch bumper
our vintage ORA is bolt on and takes the strain of the 13,000 lb winch no problems
there are 6 bolts holding it on

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 22:46 #34867 by TomDK

darthloachie wrote: our vintage ORA is bolt on and takes the strain of the 13,000 lb winch no problems

Are your's the same as they're selling cheap these days?

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 23:40 #34869 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Mounting a Kap winch bumper
wow it still suprises me how some will weld on something that is that important when they can't do the job right

as far as i know there is no fully bolt on winch bumper available for the jimny as theres no way to bolt it on

the bumpers ive seen all have weld on brackets & then bumper bolts to the brackets

most winches only have 4 m10 bolts holding it the the mount so if they can hold it on im sure 4 or 6 m12 bolts will be good enough to hold a winch bumper on

More
05 Mar 2012 06:35 #34875 by mlines
Hi,

Mine is a KAP bumper, although it was modified to take a winch later in its life (it was the original KAP one that would not take a winch.

However, my car was originally supplied by KAP so they welded it on in their garage. It was subsequently modified by ORA to take a winch, again a lot of welding was done at this point. We have happily winched with it on lots of occasions.

You are welcome to come over and have a look at how mine is mounted (although the car is jammed in the garage with the rear axle off so its a bit of a crawl to look under and see the bumper.

I also know of a small engineering company in Reading who would weld it for you, although they are not the cheapest around.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Mar 2012 06:38 #34877 by mlines

darthloachie wrote: our vintage ORA is bolt on and takes the strain of the 13,000 lb winch no problems

The ORA one comes with its mounts in two parts. The base part welds onto the chassis rails and then the bumper bolts onto the base. Therefore it can be unbolted and removed for ease of access.

I don't know of anyone who does a pure bolt on bumper (i.e. with no welding) as there is no-where to bolt it to.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 07:54 - 05 Mar 2012 08:03 #34884 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Mounting a Kap winch bumper

mlines wrote:

The ORA one comes with its mounts in two parts. The base part welds onto the chassis rails and then the bumper bolts onto the base. Therefore it can be unbolted and removed for ease of access.

I don't know of anyone who does a pure bolt on bumper (i.e. with no welding) as there is no-where to bolt it to.

Martin

Oops - yes you are right as always - my bad :blush:
there are weld on brackets and then 6 bolts that bolt the bumper to the bracket

heres a pic - fairly similar to the ones on offer now, you can see one of the bolts at the the bottom of the bumper - this is one of two each side and then there is one each side into the front crossmember
Last edit: 05 Mar 2012 08:03 by darthloachie.

More
05 Mar 2012 08:31 #34889 by Mud_Muppet
You are welcome to come over and have a look at how mine is mounted (although the car is jammed in the garage with the rear axle off so its a bit of a crawl to look under and see the bumper.

I also know of a small engineering company in Reading who would weld it for you, although they are not the cheapest around.

Martin[/quote]

Cheers Martin, im around the corner from challenger so might pop to them to get it weld it back on,
Looking at the bumper now there is pretty much no weld on there really more like bird poo welds lol, oh well least it didnt happen when i was out on my todd !!!

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2012 07:55 #35084 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: Mounting a Kap winch bumper
our new winch plate and Competition spec bumper will both be fully bolt on... .but they will not be available until the summer.

RB

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds