BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Wiring advice - I'm stuck!

More
28 Mar 2024 10:18 #255267 by me101
Hi. I run a light bar on the front of my roof rack. A few months ago, it started being a bit hit and miss when switching on. Sometimes had to switch on / off a few times before it came on. I changed the switch, no difference, so changed the relay, still no change. However, I have replaced the relay again thinking it may be a dodgy one, and noticed something else now. With the relay not connected, the switch illuminates when on, but with the relay connected, no light on the switch?? Do we think light bar itself, or possibly something else?
Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2024 13:50 #255269 by lookonimages

me101 wrote: Hi. I run a light bar on the front of my roof rack. A few months ago, it started being a bit hit and miss when switching on. Sometimes had to switch on / off a few times before it came on. I changed the switch, no difference, so changed the relay, still no change. However, I have replaced the relay again thinking it may be a dodgy one, and noticed something else now. With the relay not connected, the switch illuminates when on, but with the relay connected, no light on the switch?? Do we think light bar itself, or possibly something else?
Cheers

Depends on wiring, just note jimny is negative wired.
You do not say where you pick up your power from unless here is pic that I cant see in tappatalk.
So it depends. Sorry best I can add for now

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
28 Mar 2024 14:06 #255271 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Re:Wiring advice - I'm stuck!
Hi, it runs direct from the battery so can be used with out ignition. Worked perfectly for a year or so.

More
28 Mar 2024 14:30 #255272 by DrRobin
Do you have a wiring diagram you could share? Or, perhaps a sketch then take a photo of it?

I suspect a bad connection, if the indicator on the switch lights with no relay connected, it sounds like a bad connection is not letting enough current to flow. Depending on how it's wired (positive or nagative switch), I might suspect the common, possible connected to the metal work of the car.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
28 Mar 2024 14:34 #255273 by me101
I am at work, so no pics, but I will have a check on connections. I wired direct to battery (+ve and -ve) to try and avoid bad earth issues, but it has seen a few water crossings since fitting!

More
28 Mar 2024 23:13 - 28 Mar 2024 23:13 #255283 by Hughes
Is the light bar a reputable brand? I've not had much luck with generic chinese LED lights. Test it by wiring direct to battery. The intermittent issue and the mystery switch light may be indicative of a failing circuit board in the light itself.
​​​​​
Last edit: 28 Mar 2024 23:13 by Hughes.

More
29 Mar 2024 06:10 #255285 by me101
Hi - ebay special. Will cut the wiring and try a direct supply to see if it is the light, which I am suspecting is the culprit.

More
01 Apr 2024 17:45 #255354 by me101
Update time - was the fuse! Checked the light direct to battery, all good. Checked voltage before and after fuse (not sure why). Had a difference, so pulled the fuse. Contacts had corroded and fuse looked like it had been warm at some point. Cleaned contacts, swapped fuse, all working!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
01 Apr 2024 18:44 #255356 by DrRobin
Good news, it is fixed. It had the look of a bad connection (something limiting current flow), I assume the fuse warming up contributed to the corrosion.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds